I hate fixing bodges, especially if they aren't mine!

wild foamy
This post is 3464 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well peeps I got back to the UK this afternoon and started about sorting the FJ for its MOT tomorrow.

First on my list was fix that oil leak/smoke screen, from what I thought was the rocker cover gasket only to find this:

DSC_0563_zpsnzsbwbnq.jpg

P/O sheared the bolt off in the head, and then just held it in with silicon!, I mean sure I fix things with bodge tape and cable ties but that's just on a whole new level.

If it doesn't pass tomorrow I'm gonna be walking for a few months! :/

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Foamy I have a spare head in the garage, if you want to change it out give me a shout. It needs some studs drilling but other than that it's all there. Good luck with the MOT mate.

I'm going to have a go at drilling it and using an extractor with the head in place, want to try and avoid taking the bike to bits just yet.

It failed on the rear shock, apparently it's shagged although I've never noticed any difference tbh, going to swap it out for a spare standard one tonight and send the fucked one back to Hagon for a rebuild

Oh bad luck mate, still your going to get a nice bouncy shocker out of it so not all bad. Just looked up the Hagon website, never knew you could send them back for repair, thanks Foams nice info there.

I sent my Draggy shock back to Hagon for a rebuild.

They did a great job, but it still cost £110...!

Ah fuck, turns out the spare standard shock I had kicking around was for an earlier bike and doesn't fit! -.- does anyone close to Hungerford have a spare for a 3XW I can borrow for a couple of weeks? Have no other way of getting back to base on Monday if I can't get it sorted -.-

foams, just weld a nut onto the stud it'll come out no probs.

best to shield the rest of the engine though so no splatter gets in there

the stud has actually sheared off bellow the surface of the retainer, I can wind another bolt in about one full turn on top of it so the threads are still okay in there

Well for the time being I have, but that's not the point...

On the plus side, someone from the FJ group on Facebook is lending me a spare standard shock to get the bike through its retest whilst Hagon refurbish my original unit, result!

I've been known to reuse the odd exhaust gasket, or one time bodge a thick paper clip to keep a castle nut in place to get a bike home, but never in my life have I found such a bad bodge, sure silicon may be a wonder material but you can't just stick a bolt head back on with it...

your as mad as a hatter ! but it would work if there is room to work.

I'm no mechanic, but as the remains of the broken bolt are below the surface the head of the 'new' LH bolt tapped into place will hit the retainer rather than the top of the sheared bolt. Surely unless the threads of both the existing and new bolts have identical pitches it's going to be more tears of frustration.

If you use a proper bolt instead of a set screw it may work as on a bolt the threads don't go all the way up under the head so the bolt may lock off before the head is in the hole.

Easy outs, can be your friend if you take your time

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online