Hotgrip rewiring?

captf
This post is 3473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, on my big and shiny XJ6, it came prefitted with Hotgrips [Oxford ones]

Thing is, they're wired direct to the battery, so can be switched on and off even when the bike isn't on. At least the person who did this had the wisdom to tuck the controls out of sight, to prevent dicks people activating it when I'm not there...

How much of a challenge would it be to rewire them to something like the lights [or where else would be better?], so that the key actually needs to be in for them to work - and I can't accidentally forget to turn them off.

Because they were already fitted, I don't have any instructions/diagrams. [Obviously, I will search the interwebs when I need to]

Once I've sorted that, the next challenge will be moving it from the ass-tarded location the controls are in [if you try to use them while the bike is moving, there's a chance you'll lose your fingers]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the hardest part will be to find somewhere to put it securely

its just a heavy duty switch using small amp electric to activate it (the switched live in this instance via ignition key)

Ah, I think I have an idea on what you mean. This is just from my old electronics degree knowledge [which is over 10 years rusty]...

Basically, keep the grips wired where they are, but add a line back from the ignition - via the relay - so the circuit's only complete if the ignition is on?

The relay only needs the small amp [as you say] to activate, and there's no way for the current to 'leak' back the way, to cause horrible problems.

Correct/Oh dear lord no, you're going to die! ?

I have found an alternative method. Possible a bit dearer, but more reliable I think.

The more modern version of the hotgrip controller - which you can buy separately - has an auto off feature, by detecting if the engine is even on.

It'll probably do a very slight battery drain, as it periodically checks the battery, but is better than the current controller attached.

relays are very reliable, fitted 2 to the tracker to facilitate micro switches. buy them from Maplin.

you will also get zero battery drain, and you need all the amps you can get feeding the pilot lamp :eusa_whistle:

• Like 3

I just wired mine to the positive wire from the ignition behind the headlight they have a relay built into the controller on the grips, mine work fine only when the ignition is on though :crazy:

Fekking Southern Softies

Says me thats not been out on my bike since November (although I was out in the shed today prepping it for when I come back from the States) :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

• Like 3

Fekking Northern Nancies... ;-)

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online