(Another) Dragstar 125 bobber...

3ProngApproach
This post is 3276 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

There have been a few really great bobber projects on here, and I've had my brother in law off load his one for small money to me. So I thought, why not?

It's been left out in the rain for the best part of 7 years and it shows, during the strip down I used about a gallon of WD and rounded 60% of the bolts and screws on it....

Anyway,

You might help with some forward planning. The look I'm going for is nothing unique against what the other guys did, but I do want to put the fattest tyres I can on it, particularly on the front. Has anyone experience with this? How big will I get away with? Are we talking batman tumbler big

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Buddy,

Not sure on the size of the tyre you can get on the front but the best folk to ask is a good motorbike tyre shop they will advise and help you with this question.

best advise i can give is to pre-plan every thing, don't rush it even if you can see the end result in sight. Also a bobber is all about "less is more" if its not needed then get shot of it, but mudguards are brilliant! if like me you remove the front mudguard then riding in any sort of wet moist conditions then your going to get water up the nose!

Looking forward to some pics.

That was my first thought. my only worry is though that they might try and off load what they have as opposed going off finding what i want, but ill check with them.

Your 125 is (was) a cracker too btw. Im taking a lot of inspiration from it.

I wouldn't mess with the tyre sizes but if you want a bigger front I would look at fitting a complete front fork set from a different bike and match the steering bearings to get it to fit.

Top tip - don't use WD40 for unseizing things, get some Plusgas.

• Like 1

Right so -

Pictures,

this first one is just to make sure i upload pics properly....

IMG_6331_zpsnxhamc76.jpg

That worked - thanks FAQ section.

So that's what i started out with, the next pics are just of the breakdown of the bike, nothing ye haven't seen before, but interesting (maybe) none the less.

IMG_6335_zps3yiazdob.jpg

IMG_6395_zpsggoqmfju.jpg

IMG_6399_zpswankvby7.jpg

IMG_6413_zpsv8mr7e2t.jpg

IMG_6417_zps5zocrfeq.jpg

I have so many questions.....

One thing i am insisting on, is the new fuel tank which is off a harley, i think its perfect but it poses a number of problems ye might shed some light on for me.

1. Removal of the existing air intake and filter

2. Replacing it with a new (smaller) one that performs the same function

3. Re-jetting the carb

Now from reading similar posts on here, this is potentially a major pain in the arse and i understand this is purely for the look, but i am determined to make it work.

The distance between the top of the carb and the bottom of the new tank is at best, 40mm.

My first thought is to custom build a steel or aluminium box with baffles that will direct the air into the top of the carb at the same-ish rate as the original intake system from a K&N filter pointed out 90deg from the engine. Then rejetting as needed. (i also have a related exhaust problem - but that can wait)

Thoughts on that from anyone?

I promise ill dedicate the unveiling of the bike at Ultimate Bike Builder to Yamahaclub.com :babyha:

I had that tank on my 650 draggy, stick some ram cone filters on the carbs they will fit under the tank nicely.

Can you take a pic of the carbs on the engine for me so i can see how they are.

So you'll have to use your imagination a bit, this is the set up of the barb in relation to the cylinders.

The intake is covered over by the rag on top, that's where the old air box connected and the distance from the top of the carb and the bottom of the tank is very tight, approx 40mm.

The tank is flat underneath except for the hollow to sit it on the frame of the bike.

IMG_6421_zps8y9udk9d.jpg

I cant get anything on the carb direct due to the small gap, unless i drop the carb (cant see that happening) or raise the tank (and i don't think that'd even be enough), so, i was going to make a small box 40mm high to run the filter out past the tank on the side where the original filter box was.

That make sense?

Get a small k&n panel filter and build the box around that with a tube with a rubber mount to fix it to the carb, you can then weld a hinged lid on the top with a clasp so that you can replace the filter.

Great idea, thanks. :idea:

I wanted the look of the cone out the side, but the panel one makes the job so much easier.

Now to figure out the exhaust..... i cut the original off in my enthusiasm... now i find they are like hens teeth..... oops. :shakeno:

Best to just get a full custom set made up, if your good at diy welding then nothings impossible, as i say if your ain't tried it how do you know you can't do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the delay, now for a quick update;

Frame is chopped, currently being blasted and painted, all other bits and pieces are more or less painted (all matte black)

Wheels are coming back red (i hope)

Ordered parts;

• New drag bars
  • Solo seat
  • LED lights - including 3rd breake light (to be mounted at the back of the seat - not sure if ill use it yet)
  • New tyres
  • White wall tyre paint (fingers crossed it works)
  • Carb Jet Kit
  • Air filter

Jobs outstanding

• Build a new battery box low down to hide all the bits and bobs
  • build a small box for housing the air filter
  • get an exhaust and baffles done (i got some nice scrap stainless pipe)
  • Re-Jet as required

I've no pictures worth putting up, but ill show the assembly as it happens.

On a side note -, if this works out or not, im sure you'll agree, just messing around with a bike is probably the most therapeutic and relaxing thing a man can do...... and without the need to cuddle after!

ANYWAY! back to work.... see ye later.

Sorry but you need to get out more, and cuddling is only if you forgot to leave your boots on :biglaugha:

• Like 2

That was my first thought. my only worry is though that they might try and off load what they have as opposed going off finding what i want, but ill check with them.

Your 125 is (was) a cracker too btw. Im taking a lot of inspiration from it.

ha ha ha I love it :babyha: