Finding Motor Number on X-Max Scooter

Derish
This post is 3276 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings,

I recently moved to the UK from Spain and brought over my scooter, a 2007 X-Max 250. It's been a member of the family for six years, so selling or leaving it behind wasn't an option. Shortly after the arrival it was serviced and MOT'ed with no issues, but as I was preparing the documents for DVLA, it turned out I don't have the motor number.

I've gone through the service manual and didn't see any indication of where to look for it. I then spent about half an hour kneeling in various positions, then took the whole seat unit off to get a better look, but still wasn't able to find an identification plate or stamp to give me this data. I also don't know the syntax or length it should be, so not sure if I'll recognize it even if I see it.The only stamped characters I found are the ones in the picture attached - 4HC02 YP-6, but this looks more like a part number than a serial.

Do you have any idea where I should look for it? Any other advice on how to handle the siituation?

Thank you in advance.

1280_0_dca08657-effe-4b95-8187-fdafa29ef

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's usually on the crank case somewhere. Try up near the cylinder head lower edges and around the upper part of the engine crankcase, not usually anywhere else as it makes it hard to change the engine number by the crooked bastards.

You usually have to hunt for the buggers, most are on the crank case near the bottom of the cylinder head but can be most anywhere that is difficult to get off, if you have plastic panels covering the bike then your going to have to get in there with a screw driver and look under them, best to start with the ones that are in the area that I suggested rather than just taking random bits off in the hope of stumbling upon it. I seem to remember that on the early scooters they could even be across the crank case / gearbox area.

Well... Yesterday we had a bonding experience, where I took apart all the left side of the bike and went looking again. Just as you said, where the engine meets the crankcase I found a number. Unfortunately it was another part number, no serial. I honestly looked at it from every possible direction and have no idea where else it could be.

Guess the next step is to go to a Yamaha dealer, pay him to repeat the same procedure and hope for a better result. This is profoundly annoying. :eusa_wall:

Thanks anyway.

IMG_20150310_144436.jpg

Mtr%2B2.jpg

It should be stamped on the frame, under the rubber footmat on the right hand side.

This info was easily found by typing XMax service manual into google, but as its frowned upon to post such links you'll have to find it yourself

Sect 9.1 of the service manual

Thanks, but the location you refer to only shows the VIN. I'm looking for the engine number.

(Got all the literature, went over it several times, didn't see it mentioned anywhere.)

• 1 month later...

Back with an update. Eventually the number was found on top of the crank case, right in front of the left shock, clearly visible from the outside and requiring no disassembly if you only know where to look:

mtn.jpg

Local Yamaha dealer's (Padgett's in Batley) mechanics were friendly but unfamiliar with the model and thus rather useless. Solution came from Startright - a local family owned business that has also serviced and MOT'ed the bike when it first arrived.

Still unclear why it's not mentioned in any of Yamaha's manuals.

Well that's a bugger of a place to put it, still better than inside the engine I suppose :biglaugha: that will be next years model !!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online