chain alignment tool

drewpy
This post is 3480 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

browsing ebay and saw this homemade device.

easy to make, bit of square tubing welded to tab with a hole in it and bolt to clamp

laserchainalignmenttool_zps4a3b3d2d.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

R2d2 can you please confirm my alignment" LOL

Neat idea but if the cush drive is worn or the sprocket is bent, then what happens when you rotate the wheel?

R2d2 can you please confirm my alignment" LOL

Neat idea but if the cush drive is worn or the sprocket is bent, then what happens when you rotate the wheel?

you would have the same problem with any method of alignment in those cases , I have one of these .Expensive bit worht it when you have several bikes saves ages messing about with wood or string etc

profi_laser_cat-d.jpg

• Like 1

you would have the same problem with any method of alignment in those cases , I have one of these .Expensive bit worht it when you have several bikes saves ages messing about with wood or string etc

me too, it's huge fun getting the family pug chasing the spot around you can give him his daily exercise without even leaving your armchair but the best fun of all is when he gets some speed up on a laminate floor and has no brakes for the impending collision with the wall...he never learns :lol:

• Like 1

but you never even mentioned a laser pointer !

sorry, if you look at the picture it is there! :razz:

What I was saying is if you haven't checked your swing arm bushing wear, cush drive or sprocket then you might as well go by the marks on the swing arm and a tapemeasure.

All the little other things add up to much more in chain deflection under actual use.

The Idea is good but still leaves alot to the person using it and how they inturpute it.

Drewps HM is as good as any store bought

EDIT would you not rather align the whole bike and not just the rear of the bike ? Also if the motor is not in straight then it will set everything off.

Yes it takes longer but if you just need to tighten up the chain then why bother with the lazer? The front triple clamps also come out of alingment over time and should be set back to make the bike track straight.

It is worth it to me to take the time every 3rd or so adjustment of the chain to me.

I dont do photos of how to do things,but if you get 2 pieces of 90 degree angle iron ( bed frames ) and check them for trueness.( easy to do by streching a piece of string over it ) Longer then your bike wheel to past the front wheel

Then with a couple of clamps you can make the whole bike straight,,, loosen the triple clamps and the rear wheel,,set that all 100% then if the motor is still out then move it, Before you try to adjust your chain or as your adjusting it

Not like you cant to make the motor aling with the rest,, the bolt holes have lots of adjustment and a few shims and BANG your bike is better than most others that look the same.Handels better than Joe Blows.

Race secrets for free.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online