Nerve wracking SMIDSY [not me]

captf
This post is 3528 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My housemate is also a biker, and was riding home when a range rover pulled out of a junction into her path.

What happened:

We'd been at a gym class [yoga...] and she left an hour before me as I was continuing on.

On my route home, I see a police car with a bike next to it. And my first thought was "That looks like [my housemate]'s bike..."

I get home, and sure enough, she wasn't home yet.

I gunned it back to the police car [well, keeping to the speed limit...], jumped off the bike once I spotted it was her bike, with the first words out my mouth being "Is she OK?!" to the police officer still on the scene.

Her bike was up on a recovery truck, with the front end completely mangled.

Shaking like hell, the policeman told me that she was OK, but had been taken to hospital as a precaution. She'd been walking about when they arrived.

Race to the hospital [after informing her boyfriend] and she was shocked to see us. Largely upset at her bike being fucked, and a fair bit at me for telling her boyfriend...

As far as can be told, she's just rather bruised.

Bloody cagers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Scary! Glad she's ok. Bikes can be replaced, lives can't.

I was shaking when I stopped my bike by the police. It's nuts how angry a SMIDSY can make you, even when you're not the victim.

But she has no broken bones or worrying injuries, and was released after just a few hours checking her over. Her worst is a very badly bruised knee.

She's definitely angry about the loss of bike - she's only had it a few months [another YBR125, since she's still on CBT until she hits 24 in January]

The police have told her that the driver of the 4x4 is claiming she didn't have her lights on, and that's why she pulled out.

On a 2009 YBR? Nice try with that claim on a bike that cannot turn its lights off!

• Like 3

If I was her and they were claiming that my lights were off I would be talking to the police about perverting the course of justice. That is jail time as several ex MP's have found out.

• Like 1

I was shaking when I stopped my bike by the police. It's nuts how angry a SMIDSY can make you, even when you're not the victim.

But she has no broken bones or worrying injuries, and was released after just a few hours checking her over. Her worst is a very badly bruised knee.

She's definitely angry about the loss of bike - she's only had it a few months [another YBR125, since she's still on CBT until she hits 24 in January]

The police have told her that the driver of the 4x4 is claiming she didn't have her lights on, and that's why she pulled out.

On a 2009 YBR? Nice try with that claim on a bike that cannot turn its lights off!

Why do people try to bend the truth? all so as not to lose a bit of NCB, disgusting

The police are involved with it - matter of course when there's injury, I believe. I'll be reminding her to point that out to them.

She [Housemate] told me that she knew it couldn't be true, because she deliberately had her high beams on at that point.

And I don't think it's to not lose the NCB, but instead refusal to admit that they could ever do something wrong.

It was likely the classic SMIDSY situation - saw the light, but hard to get a frame of reference for the actual distance, so - instead of giving it a tiny bit longer processing time - just pulling out.

circumstances of accident speak for themselves i would have thought

on Why do people try to bend the truth?

this is a known human condition, people can tend to blame others -

even criminals can somehow claim they are innocent/things aren't their fault

not withstanding blatant evidence to the contrary, shame, guilt, pride...?

however, if the police convict the motorist it will definitely make things easier.

Sorry to hear of this mate, but so glad she is ok as they always say it could have been worse.

I had three very close SMIDSY's in two days, (two of which where this morning) the two this morning thankfully stopped at the last possible moment one of which coming from a minor to major road from the right had to did over the the wrong side of the road to avoid the dreaded "rider band" on the bonnet.

The third happened yesterday on a round about where the twat cut me up on the exit even though he knew i was there as my 2" open pipes where by his car door the whole way round the round about. But apparently i was the one in the wrong. :crazy:

I had a near call yesterday too. 2 lane road through town. I'm in the right lane behind a white van.

He starts moving over to the left lane [no indication], and looking ahead, it's clear.

I pull the throttle and start to overtake.

He then decides he wants to be back in the right lane, and forces me right to the centre line - can't go further due to the oncoming traffic.

Of course, it was my fault that he made no indications or observations at any point, and he actually said he shouldn't have to use his mirrors.

His reason for changing back to the right was to overtake a truck turning left. Like that made it OK to not check for me.

Well I'm glad she is ok, that's the main thing at the end of the day.

Hope she gets back on a bike as soon as she's recovered, don't let it put her off!

• Like 1

I drive a 4x4 I call it a bikers revenge for all the cagers, 4x4s, taxi drivers, buses, with most of them I don't believe smidsy's just bigger protected in a metal cage and don't give a flying f**k for bikers.

glad you are all ok :)

@captf, you don`t have to give left signal when you change the bends, you have just to give signal for overtacking and changing the direction. he was right to not give the signal. if he don`t get with the entire car on the left bend, he also don`t have to give right signal to come back in right bend, was your duty to wait for him to get completlly in his bend, read the road and just after this overtacking him. remember, is not important who is right, you are the only one who will be hurt, not him... and is useless to be right if you are death. even if is not your duty, preventing to get in a bad situation is the best idea. when I start riding in september 2012, I get in a lot of troubles, most of those with not "my fault" but easy to ovoid if I read the road. now, with over 30.000 miles (over 25.000 on full licence) all those things almost never hapening and if is hapening is because is something I don`t expect to happening and is not about reading the road, are just mistakes of the other road users, or mine.

ex: my most common mistake when I was learner, bus stoped on the left bend, car in my left side, me on right bend. in most cases the driver will not see you. even if you are or not in his blind spot. easy to get out from this situation accelerating or breacking and take position in the right side of your bend so you can have time to react. some people use the horn in this situation, not me.

roundabout, another place where drivers use to change from left bend to right bend... A LOT OF THEM! I use to stay back a bit if i`m on the right bend so I can safe break if he pull in front of me... also I try to keep in the right side of my bend

all those are not practically my fault (I think) but this is not an excuse for me to put me in a danger situation.

She's was already talking about replacing the bike last night - she really enjoys it and the freedom it gives.

My main worry is she may get really nervous once she's back on one, on the streets. But hopefully that won't last long.

@lallasro - You are, here, incorrect.

In a 2 lane road: "When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over."

Highway code section 133

If you are changing lane, you must indicate, to inform other road users of your intentions.

The main exception is when you are returning to your own lane, on a single carriageway, after overtaking.

Changing lanes indiscriminately is a traffic offense.

I failed a driving test [some years back] for doing just that. I received a "Dangerous" fault for it.

And the road in this case was a marked road - each lane was for going in a different direction.

But in saying that it's not important who's right, but that I don't get hurt, you are very correct.

[i am also heavily assuming that English isn't your first language, and where you say 'bend', your intention is 'lane']

And definitely with the roundabouts. Lane discipline is a foreign country for many drivers. I avoid being side by side with another vehicle where possible

• Like 1

nasty, glad she is ok, but it does stay at the back of your mind for a bit. (speaking from experience)

It's a particularly dangerous time now we're commuting in the dark, needs a gread deal of caution and assume vehicles are going to pull out on you...that'll slow you down ;)

Glad your friend is OK and yeah the best thing is to get right back into it or so they say

Her main issue on the road is, she's only done her CBT and a few years on a bicycle.

I've been trying to persuade her to get a couple of official road lessons [she's also my best friend, after all, and I want what's best for her] but money is getting in the way, but she does accept the benefit they would bring.

She actually is of the stance that letting people out on the road after having done nothing more than a CBT is asking for trouble [even though she does it herself - but having went for a number of rides with her, she's picked up reasonable road awareness]

With that, she's not really learned any real road awareness pointers that an instructor can give you in real time. I can only point out things after well the fact.

Update on accident too: her insurers are treating it as full third party liability, and this will cover the costs of the bike being recovered and stored last night. And have agreed to hold off as much contact with her as possible until Monday, to allow her rest.

@capft, no, i`m not incorect and I will tell you why. I say the same thing on my bikesafe training and the cop prove me I don`t have to give left signal:

first case, single carriageway, overtacking, right signal, check mirrors, lifesaver, move on the oncoming way bend, read the road, start overtacking, life saver to check if you pass the car you overtake, no signal left, go back in your lane, enjoy the open road.

second case, 2 carriage way:

- you are not allowed to undertake a vehicle exception SLOW moving trafic and this just if you do this SAFE for you (like biker)

this mean automatically the rider on the second lane don`t need to give a signal left if he move on the left lane. you want overtake him? wait in his ass untill he change the lane, undertake him and you will lose

motorways, 3+ bends: you are in lane 3, overtacking a vehicle in lane 2, in this time a vehicle in lane 1 want overtake a vehicle in front of him. you are not obligate to give signal left to warn the vehicle in lane 1 because he must give priority to all other vehicles overtacking him, in this case you in lane 3 and the vehicle in bend 2. also you are not allowed to stay in bend 2-3 exception for overtacking, that mean you both, vehicle in lane 2 and you, have biger speed than the vehicle in lane 1

you can claim a vehicle don`t give signal left when he change the lane from right to left but you will lose.

I don`t know what is the low for cars, all what I say now is for bikers, I don`t care about cars law, and I don`t care if they need to give signal left because I know is not mather because i`m not allowed to undertake them.

if you speak about this:

If you need to change lane, first use your mirrors and if necessary take a quick sideways glance to make sure you will not force another road user to change course or speed. When it is safe to do so, signal to indicate your intentions to other road users and when clear, move over.

if you look, is MOVE OVER, this is crap explained, is about overtaking.

personally, I some situation, I use to give left signal when is the case... but just a few situation. in rest, i give left signal just when I change the direction, that include the situation when you have to get in a specific lane for changing the direction.

The first case - agreed. No left signal required [and actually using one is classed as inproper indication]

Second case - just to be sure, I wasn't undertaking the van. However.

This is a link to Google Maps showing exactly where it happened. Notice the signage for the road? At this point, over- and undertaking is a non issue, as the lanes are for different directions.

So in this case, if you are in the right lane, and realise you need to be in the left, if there are any other road users around, you must indicate. No ifs, no buts. Likewise for right to left.

Also, just to point out, my comment about the no indication for him moving to the left lane was an observation, signaling to me that this was a driver who doesn't care.

Third case? To move from any lane to another on a motorway, clear signalling must be given. Again, no ifs, no buts.

Failure to indicate can cause accidents, which at high speed can be fatal.

The laws for indication count for all road vehicles - cars, vans, lorries, buses and motorbikes. There is no difference.

And no, article 133 is not just for overtaking. There's a reason the wording is vague - it's because it's for any lane changes [unless exceptions apply elsewhere]

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online