1987 DT125E

ETR174
This post is 3461 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I got a DT125E 2 weeks ago I am trying to fix up to screw around with up north. I have put the carb back together with a 150 main and stock pilot and I am running a 4" pod filter. The bike does have spark with a replacement NGK B8ES and I compression tested it at 115psi (need verification on good or bad) and it will not start. Any suggestions? Choke was pulled and I have the air screw 1.5 turns out.

Sorry I accedentially typed 1987 when it is a 1978.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so after repeated failed starting attempts with the choke ON, remove the sparkplug and it should be wet with gas...is it?

No and I forgot to mention it had a spark plug (cant remember the brand) stamped with ND. The model was W23ES-U and I followed a conversion chart to a NGK B8ES which I had lying around because my Banshee uses them too. I replaced it and unscrewed the top so the the boot would connect to it. I took the plug out and had it touch the heat sink fin on the head and it sparked a nice blue color. I am starting to think carb because the needle didnt exactly drop down the smoothest so maybe it is stuck shut? Also is 115psi of compression still good?

115 psi is good enough I'd say...so the plug is dry even though you tried many times to start it with choke on?

Yeah. I probably kicked it over 100 times. Also since the carb was off so was the tube for the autolube going to the carb throat. The old tubes were junk on the carb so I replaced them and I needed to bleed the line for the oil injection going to the carb. I took the cap for Yamalube and drilled two holes. I fit the line in and got most of the line filled with oil and fit it on. There is a small 1 cm gap of air collected at the top of the line. Should I pour a little Yamalube down the spark plug hole so it is easier on the piston when I kick it over? I have a Banshee so Im used to kicking very hard lol

dont worry about a 1cm air bubble, when it starts you can pull the oil pump cable at the engine and it will open the pump fully and soon fill that gap

sounds like your choke circuit is blocked, there is a small orifice at the bottom of the tube in the carb float bowl...poke it clear

Starter.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot all about that little jet at the bottom for the choke! Everything else in the carb for this poor bike was blocked. Ok when I get home I will look. Just one last question, I noticed there is a small nut at the bottom of the bowl, do you just crack it loose for the gas to go out the hose on the bowl?

I forgot all about that little jet at the bottom for the choke! Everything else in the carb for this poor bike was blocked. Ok when I get home I will look. Just one last question, I noticed there is a small nut at the bottom of the bowl, do you just crack it loose for the gas to go out the hose on the bowl?

How small...17mm AF ?

Ok so I found out that the needle was getting stuck so that fitting the needle sits snug on had to be cleaned. I verified that the needle dropped and I put it back in the bike. Turned the gas on and gas is pooring out the overflow tube. I am assuming that the floats aren't adjusted correctly. I know how to set them just need to know the gap size.

Ok I bent it back and its still leaking. Ok the needle looks like it was filed on the side, I have another mikuni needle but it is a rubber tip, will that work?