Brake/tail light problem

Ddraig
This post is 3520 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I have a ybr125, and have recently changed my bulb, but have noticed it's still not working. I have checked the holder and it's ok, but I did notice both light elements are on at the same time. It is the correct bulb, so I'm not sure what may be the problem. Any ideas anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You put the bulb in the wrong way round,remove it and fix the socket

I assume the lights were working 'perfectly' before you changed the bulb?

so in that sense NOTHING has changed....other than the bulb.

Therefore we can assume the feed wiring and earths have not been disturbed?

If so, then it all points to the bulb, have you simply tried another?

yes, you're right in that the bulb has offset pins so it can only go one way in to the holder and I assume you have turned it by a quater of a turn to lock it in place.

The bulb has 2 contacts and once inserted into the holder those contacts need to touch the two contacts in the holder the 1/4 turn achieves this.

However, the two contacts are separate circuits, one does the brake the other the tail light.

Each circuit cannot normally make 'live' the two contacts of the bulb unless the contacts are in someway touching both . ie not turned in the holder properly

It does point to the bulb if nothing else has changed.

alternatively....if the wirings been disturbed then 'poor earthing' is often a culprit.

but you can narrow it down by a little detective work.....i.e which circuit is at fault.

You say both elements are 'on' (you need to be specific as we're not there with you.....)

Do you mean the when you apply the brake or turn on the lights?

either way , what happens when you apply the brake? or visa versa.

what happens when you apply just the brake, i.e with the lights OFF.?

hope this helps.

Thats like the bulbs in wrong, .you can twist it in wrongly, if the holder is crap, [ i "v done it with repro tail units]