HELP!!!! my bike wont start :(

~~~ Clive Senior ~~~
This post is 3513 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HELP PLEASE!

I have bought a 1997 Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat.

The bike run find and nice to ride, then it just wouldn't start...... just "clicks" when i press ignition

This is what i've tried:

Replaced the battery with brand new fully charged battery. still clicks

Tried to "Jump the solarnoid" by putting a screwdriver accross the 2 terminals and pressing the ignition still "clicks" from the battery area

Checked all the fuses under the seat all fine.

HELP!!!! please

see video below this shows what it does.

http://youtu.be/CW7t-gmCXTQ?list=UUDGZZeoBjrULmSyc5uKGWSA

Thanks in advance :)

Clive.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Either the starter is jammed or the power is not getting through. Try putting the bike in 2nd gear and rocking it backwards and forwards that might unjam it also check you have power to the terminals on the starter, clean the earth cable might just be a dirty connector.

I cant seem to find the starter motor only the solarnoid???? give us a clue where it is lol?

Ill try the rocking in second tommorow as its all tucked up in the garage now.

wheres the earth cable as i looked for one of those but couldn't seem to locate.

thanks for help mate!

Ok Clive if your unwilling or unable to do the fix yourself then your left with the alternative of finding your local bike shop and asking them to come out and collect the bike and fixing it for you. Normally they will charge you for collection and delivery plus the price of the fix for the problem budget around £150 to £200 for the complete fix of your problem, the other method is BUY THE MANUAL and fix it yourself. Even if it takes you a week to sort the problem out you have saved shed loads of money, most bikers are able to take their bike to bit's and rebuild it, all bikers can change the oil and filters plus the usual maintenance jobs this is just a bit more complicated and takes longer, do ONE THING AT A TIME and don't rush, you'll be surprised how easy it is and well chuffed when you have it fixed. :jossun:

well ive tried the pushing back and forth in 2nd and I can hear like a winding but when I put back into N and fire its still clicking so :(

ive bid on a Haynes manual for the bike to do bits just don't want to cause more damage than already done.

has to be either wiring problem or starter im presuming as ive rules most of the rest out.

1) cleaned battery terminals with sandpaper so good contact.

2) changed battery for brand new battery

3) tried to jump solarnoid

4) rocked in 2nd back and forth (over a 3 foot distance) and tried to fire but nothing.

so surely it has to be starter? bike was running fine and to go like this overnight ?

the advice and guidance is genuinely appreciated!

just as I said above very nervous about braking/causing more damage messing with the internals

Cheers

Basics first

so surely it has to be starter?

Errr, no. Can be many things preventing start. How do you know the new battery is fully charged. Do you have a multi-meter?

Check that all of the switches linked to start system are not holding you off eg side stand switch/kill switch

Neversaydie, the battery is brand new and the shop I got it from filled it a couple of hours before I collected it for me and said they tested and its charged.

kill switch is working fine as when its activated I don't even get a CLICKING noise - side stand switch is which I donno about as it wont start whether stand is down or not.

ok we have a development!!!!

I tried to bump it by putting it in 2nd and pushing forward and dipping clutch and ignition all at same time and it fired and started. ??? but when it stopped it wouldn't start by ignition alone I had to bump it again (only over a space of 3ft whilst in 2nd) ????

does this give anyone any idea?

Yes it's the starter almost without a doubt, it might need new brushes in it, so when your nice new manual arrives get the thing off and see if you can get it apart and what the brushes look like, the same thing happened to me on the XJ so it's easy to do just fiddly.

PS PLEASE be careful when you take it apart as the connector from the battery goes to a bolt that is mounted via a PLASTIC clip that will snap like a carrot if your rough with it.

is it an easy job for a novice (if it is ill attempt) or would u suggest a shop jobby? also do I need to put the new starter on timed up or anything or just push in and bolt on?

is it safe/adviseable to use whilst like this or will it get that it just wont start at all even with bumping? and will I do any damage using it ?

I have been following this Clive and at this point I don't think your ready for a job like this,if you couldn't see how easy it is to remove the starter from Andrews video then just shop it out. Every thing you need to do is covered in the first 1 minute the rest is for changing the starter clutch that could be the problem but most likey not,they tend to not enguage the starter and it spins freely..

Then get your manual and read it cover to cover.

This could be something as simple as a poor ground/connection to the motor/starter motor or a bad starter ,,,,but they go many years without fail into 60k miles. easy .

You can safely start the bike bump starting it,,holding the start button is not nessary,, just turn the key on and bump start it.

Hope you get it sorted.

im looking at learning with the bike as cant afford the bills of shop all the time and im willing to attempt just didnt want to if its a big job or something I cud fuck up n make worse..... the video ur on about I presume is the one above? I havnt watched it yet as when trying on my fone it said error. need to watch it on the pc thx for all ur input guys :) :) :)

heheh andrew did u miss the part where I said I WASN'T a mechanic heheh if I do that I guarantee the bike will never run again heheh

Lol! Nor am I - just got good at finding stuff on YouTube!

Just picking up on what DT502 said, my second sr was making a clicking sound before I removed all wiring, cleaned up all the connections and refitted with a decent battery. If it was me I'd start with checking the earthing points and making sure the battery is in good condition - easiest and cheapest options!

andrew cheers. battery is new I replaced it first n its fully charged. gonna try taking one wire at a time n cleaning n put back on n move to next one etc then if all else fails do starter motor once running service it

Hi Clive I know you say the Battery is new and the dealer said its charged but after filling with acid they need a good few hours charging to be at full power, I'm not saying this is the answer but it could be part of the problem.

You could do with a course on how to use a multimeter as this would save you countless hours and cash.

As Preload says the battery is PRE-CHARGED at the factory but it needs to be fully charged before you use it, 2 hours at your mechanics will not be enough to get it up to full power, you need a motorcycle battery charger as well DO NOT use a car battery charger or you will cook the battery. $%28KGrHqJHJFUFDyp0qUHYBQ-WptL9l%21~~60_Something like this if you can get it. It's a trickle charger and only uses about 500millamps.

They are about £8 on ebay.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online