Throttle needle vs airscrew adjusting - 2stroke

mcferreira100
This post is 3599 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

No bone stock they pull hard to 11k rpm,from 4k all the way to 11k they were based on the race bikes of the day.At 6k they will pull the front wheel no problem just by rolling off the throttle and pinning it open quickly. In 1st-2nd and 3 gear

Stop trying to tune it for crusing around at 3500 rpm they were never ment to .These bike's were ment to be ridden and reved your waisting a perfectly good bike if your just goin to put around on it.

I owned enough of them to know they don't blow up from reving them unless they are not tuned right,do your plug chop set it up to run a bit fat and rev the fn thing they can dust many bike's 750 cc and up.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Will do the plug chop as per Dirty DT`s version..if it ever stops raining here.

DT Is dead right. My TDR may be a generation on but slow and steady wont get you any friends with the motor.

The power valve helps but ride all day at those revs and she will foul the plugs.

After 500k forget the break in rubbish too. Grab the bstard by the bars and hang on.

After 25years of 2strokes all i will add is find the rev when the power vanishes. Then stay 500rpm under it except in extreem red mist moments. (Normally humbling bugger bikes)

On long constant runs stay 1000rpm under. Keep her in the sweet power, just keep half an eye on the panic! er! Water temp gague.

Thought I would try something and set throttle needle 1clip up from bottom..ie:rich.

This is how how plug looks..too much on the rich side..would think I must go back to middle clip.

2014-08-24165546_zps634842bc.jpg

Also notice plug caps sitting pretty loose on the plugs. Almost no force needed to pull them off.

You need to make sure the caps are nice and tight as water will get in between and short them out and they wont fire and foul the plug. Running on 1 cylinder is not good.

The picture is a little fuzzy and you didn't say if you gave the bike a good blast. before checking them. You have to "work" 2 strokes so no cruising, all playing. Have a look at the following for a reference

sparkplugcolour.jpg

im glad your checking your plugs. it really is the only way to get these things running right.

personally id also make sure the exhaust is in tip top condition. the ehaust on 2 strokes makes a big impact..

on my rxs if i had some how managed not to attach the exhaust properly the thing would rev like no ones buisiness. and i can guarantee it would have exploded if i tried to ride it any where like that. but it sure did sound like it meant buisiness.

personally i like to set everything up to a basic level. "pin in middle setting" start it adjust the mixture via carb screws till it sounds good running at idle "i like to do it by ear, if the idle sounds good to me then i will let it just idle for a while. make sure there arent any differences in the idle noise "speeding up slowing down" if it seems like a good idle setting.
makes sure the plug is clean. then go rag it arround for a while. then bring it back home and check the plug(s).

Hopefully it will be the correct colour if not then its time to adjust.
I do tend to set up a bit to lean when i do it by ear if im honest, rev counters help with that. not all 2 strokes have them though. but if you do have them use them. but running a bit lean you would tend to hear slight differences in the noise whilst its in idle.

if i go by the above picture. id say that i usually set up aiming for picture number 18. and then id be happy to not mess with it any more.

Done 670km on new engine so far..so listening to Cynic..I would say its pretty much run in.

Ran it around 6000rpm (not sure with this rev counter)for few km and switched off. Checked with another LC owner who has same size sprockets..he runs at 5500rpm when I`m at 4000 at 60mph...weird.

Thanks for this pic DirtyDT. Looking at this chart looks almost oil fouled (no.2)..or maybe cold & rich (no.7)..but far from best. Will try middle notch on needle and check again.

Ok back to 3rd notch on throttle needles and I would say its pretty close to best according to DT`s pic.

2014-08-25141410_zps28b8c50c.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online