Full bike test

lauragilmour
This post is 3539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

KIN HELL !! When I did it it was about £5 and a cup of coffee for the tester, oh and a cake which I was "ENCOURAGED" to buy. Mind you that was 1968.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm lost why can't you just pay the 90 to the gov and do the test,if you know how to ride then it shouldn't be hard to pass. I mean is there different rules for riding a bigger bike?

A bike is a bike if you can ride a 125 then in 5 min you should be able to get used to a 600, on free ride days put on by the dealers I have ridden 8 different bikes in one day everything from a 250 enduro to a 1800 crusier.

so whats with all this extra fees?

It's about how much can we rip out of you before you decide to buy a car. No really it's all about progression in your motorcycling, so a small 50/125 is supposed to be safer than a whomping great 1300, it is but not for the reasons that are driving it, most folk have to learn how to ride and your right once you can ride a small bike then getting on a bigger one is a short learning curve BUT if you break it down still further and have to pay each time then imagine how much the authorities can get in revenue. Plus if you put an age limit on each bike size then it becomes even more difficult to actually pass your test without real determination, so the upshot is not many folks ride bikes in the UK as compared to other more sensible countries. Oh and of course there is the thorny topic of the ROAD TAX which on a 1200cc car is a quarter of the price of a 600cc motorcycle and sometimes the car (low emission type) pays NO TAX AT ALL so pick the bones out of that lot if you can.

Just to add insult to injury the car test is £92 including theory and practical test, so wouldn't you just say "F**K IT" and go for a car instead of the bike?

I think it is compulsory to have tuition on a 600+ bike, but even if not I'd have to hire one!

To be honest what they teach on the cbt is a fraction of what I learnt for my full licence. I had been on the 125 for only 3 months and couldn't believe how many bad habbits id picked up in that time. Its all geared around keeping you alive which with how many bad car drivers are on the road can only be a good thing. If you break it down in terms of cost deducting test fees, petrol, insurance, bike, maintenance, safety equipment there isn't much left to claim as a wage. I know my wife spent a hell of a lot more recently getting her car licence.

My to cents for what it's worth... I had never ridden a bike before I took my CBT (well, apart from a short blast on a DT around a field in Portugal...) as a result, I was clueless and really appreciated the hoops I had to jump through in order to get my licence.

Now, on the flip side, my ex was a regional championship motocross rider, learning to ride a motorbike and not actually bothering to learn a bicycle as most kids would. They still had to go through the same loopholes as everyone else, but arguably their skill level was greater. Still, I believe it needs to be equal for everyone.

However, what I don't agree with is the way car drivers are treated so differently. If it's going to be tough for those learning a motorbike, then car licences need to also reflect that. I admit, it is a pain in the arse, and I'm sure others will have a different opinion to me, but that's just my view.

Bottom line - bring the car licence in line with the bike licence, and I couldn't care less what they require you to go through. And I'm saying that having only had my full licence for just over a year.

• Like 2

KIN HELL !! When I did it it was about £5 and a cup of coffee for the tester, oh and a cake which I was "ENCOURAGED" to buy. Mind you that was 1968.

Did mine the same year but I didn't have to buy a cake.

First... Bippo I agree it should be harded to get a car licence you can kill a whole lot more peope with them in a few moments of time.

and I have had to back cars out of the lot for people who couldn't and have a licence???.

Also I have always said that people should learn on a off road course first,the skills you lear about bike control in the dirt mud sand will carry you thorough life.

If you can master a 125 or less then you can ride anything and to charge people a un fair price to obtain a licence that is helping the enviroment and all the other good things ??? well seem stupid to me.

I would have to think a a person such as you ex would be able to handel any bike so why all the BS to obtain a licence?

So this come back to Slice post WTF it cost more to ride a 1200 bike than a car on road tax??? what dumb arse came up with that?? a bike wears the road down way less so why more??? here it the same fee for road tax 84 bucks a year each for the jeep and bike

If I do a burn out with the jeep 4 big tire's are ripping up the road vs 1 on the bike so that makes no sence to me again

Locksmith I can see why if only after 3 months of riding you could get some futher information and thats good ,,,but if you had ridden all your life up till you 16th birthday would you need that training and be forced to pay for it?? I think not.

Andrew would it not be cheaper to rent a bike for the day and do the test? I would be looking into if manditory training is nessary,unless you feel you need it ,Do you guys have to ride a bigger bike to pass seems to me someone here did the test on a 125 and got thier full licence ,,so if you can do the test on your sr then go for it and get the full licence.

Or do as Lasso said got to Denmark,Romaina or where ever and get it and then come back and challenge the test.

I know if I come there and I can't ride a bike of my choice I wont be comming .I guess I will have to look into that. The TT is on my bucket list but not comming if I can't ride it.

Dont worry dt, If you have a full licence (which you do), in your home country. you can ride a bike that meets the conditions of your licence here. i.e. unlimited cc over there, any bike over here. So get your sorry ass into gear and get yourself over. Give us plenty of notice that way we can all have a burn up together

If I had an up to date passport I'd definitely be going to Romania for a holiday and doing the test while there! I taught my wife how to drive a car, but she needed 4 hours professional lessons to learn how to pass her test!! I don't know about anyone else here but I didn't really start learning how to drive until after I passed my test? My point here is, agreeing with Bipps, I could have gone out and brought, as an example, my current car - 2.2 DT with 140 horses. Not massive power, but far too much for a novice. So I do kind of understand why you have to prove you're capable of handling a large bike. That said, financially I have no plans to get a large cc bike until the kids are much older. I just want to do my test before they change the rules again! The bike test has to be done on a 600+ machine. I will check if training is mandatory - maybe the bike school would hire the bike only for the test?

I think I'm right in saying that you (dt50) can ride whatever on your licence over here?

God I wish I'd done this 20 years ago!