89 xt350 hot shutdown????

thumbs
This post is 3700 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First the bike runs great with no known problems.

I was out in the desert doin some pd hunting. It was about 90* and I was doin a lot of first gear running. Frequent stops to glass the area then more low gear running on prairie trails. I stopped to turn around and the bike shut off. I tried to start her but no luck. Checked to make sure I was getting fuel to the carb. No problem. This bike usually starts on the first kick. Does the xt350 get hot and just shut down?? I waited about 20 minutes and she fired right up and got me home with no problem.

Again is it possible she just got hot from the low gear running in the heat with little air over the fins and just shut down?? Is this normal for the 89 xt350??

Thanks for the help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks considering the circumstances , being miles out in the desert, it maybe a good idea to just change it out. I am assuming the part that needs to be changed it the coil right?? The coil the plug cable goes into. Not to be a dum ()!(;: but want to make sure there isn't some other icc I'm not aware of. Do you think I can still get this from a Yamaha dealer or is it something special considering the age??

Thanks

I brought a 6 month old one of these in around '94. UK weather so never hot. I had the same problem, Started great when cold, It would never start when hot. It lasted a couple of weeks and I PX'ed it.

Thanks, I was able to order one from a Yamaha dealer. Apparently the part from Yamaha is discontinued. There were a few in the pipeline though. I would have mail ordered it but it would take longer to get here. Not cheap but better than a long hot walk out of the desert.

I got this one used also but years ago maybe 94 or so. Great bike very few if any problems,except this one and a couple of carb cleans and a carb boot replacement. My wife wants me to get a new one but not sure I want to part with her. The bike that is.

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online