XJ 600 (1990) not starting

This post is 3708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I am a new member and just returned to biking after many years. Bought my bike 6 months ago, so out of warranty. Took my bike out yesterday no problems throughout the day. Got home washed it all over sponge, brush, hose on light spray (not sure if this is relevant). Went to start it and got a buzzing noise like a wasp in a jam jar from the lefthand side, rev counter showing 4k and the oil light coming on but the engine would not turn over. Any help or advice would be gratefully received Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

chris,

the best advice would be to just say hi and a bit about yourself here (new members welcome area) and then post your woes in the "workshop" area of the forum.

thanks for supporting the forum though :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You need to be posting the workshop question in the workshop section but it sound like you have got water in the electrics. Something is either earthing out or the starter relay is damp or now knackered. It may clear with the temperature at the moment. A good run on it would help but I wouldn't risk stopping until you got back home. It should still start with a push.

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I will try the workshop. As to a little about me live in Cheltenham Glos, just returned to motorcycling after a number of years. Kids older now, you know the usual story. Bought the XJ as it is an easy way back in and had a full service history and pretty original.

Hi Chris, Welcome to the YOC, I'm just down the road from you in Stroud. Glad you could join us. :wavey: