XT 125R breather pipe fuel leak

Jason D
This post is 3606 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently bought my first motorbike a Yamaha XT125 R 2006 plate. Now ever since I have had this bike it has been dripping fuel from the carb breather pipe. Not a massive amount about 1/4 inch over two days in a normal 1 litre drinks bottle. Now the bike shop we spoke to said it needed a complete carb clean and possibley a new fuel vacuum tap. So I took it in and that is what they did. Well after a 24hr period it started dripping again. I spoke to the shop again and they said take it back and they would restrip it. Which they did and for a few hours it didn't leak so Iwent and filled up and within 24hrs its dripping from the carb breather pipe again. The bike shop seems stumped and said the only other thing they could do would be to replace the needle.
Looking for some advice here really as to what it may be. Don't want to be taken for a ride, if you excuse the pun, with this shop. Any ideas anyone?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the regulars/staff prefer you to post a introduction before asking for help bud...its a curtsy thing

as for your problem, the float could be sticking, did they check the float? or it could be needle and seat

is your fuel vacuum tap working correctly? no fuel should be coming out when the bikes not running

Apologies just didn't think. :icon_redface1: Just posted in New members introductions. A brief intro for this section. I am 18 live in suffolk with my folkes still. I have a strong feeling this will be the first bike of many. Its great have indendance and definatilty think bikes are addictive lol.

Thanks for replying. They replaced the fuel vaccum tap when they striped the carb and they checked it when they striped it the second time. I was wondering whether to take it back and ask them to replace both the needle and float. Don't want to waste my money though, I'm a bit concerned it may still leak even after doing this.

As above mate, stuck needle - float to low or float bowl seal is in need of replacing.

PS the intro should be in the NEW MEMBERS section (hint)

• Like 1

I did apologise and say that I had put an intro into the new members section. I added a little info about me in this section as I felt that I had upset Tomyqss and thought it may smooth things over. Apologies once again.

Sounds like the needle jet, float height or floats in the carb.

If the jet is worn then it lets fuel bypass it, it the float height is wrong then it shuts the fuel off too late, if the float has a hole in it - the same as the float height issue really.

The heat won't help but the carb needs to be set up right, not just cleaned.

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Sounds like the needle jet, float height or floats in the carb.

If the jet is worn then it lets fuel bypass it, it the float height is wrong then it shuts the fuel off too late, if the float has a hole in it - the same as the float height issue really.

The heat won't help but the carb needs to be set up right, not just cleaned.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that and thanks for the welcome :)

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online