YBR 125 not shifting from 1st-2nd

mattj89
This post is 3632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, new here so sorry if this has come up before (search didn't reveal anything)

I'm having some troubles with my YBR 125, when I go to shift from 1st into 2nd the gearbox just gets stuck in Neutral! Very annoying and embarrassing when trying to pull away from a junction etc, and dangerous!

I've put the bike on the c/stand and ran through the gears fine, and I have adjusted the gear shifter down both to no avail. I have also just changed the oil which has not helped. It only seems to do this when I am sat on the bike (I can sit there and hold the clutch in and it'll jam at N)

Anybody got any ideas here as to what it could be? I've read a few places saying to adjust the clutch cable which is my next step today.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you got the correct oil and oil quantity in the bike - motorcycle oil, not car oil.

Is your chain too tight?

Possible the clutch needs adjusting or changing.

These are the 3 easiest and cheapest to check.

As above really, but just one or two things, are you a car driver? or are you a new bike rider? cos if it's the first then this is not a car gearbox, you need to treat it differently, be firm in your gear changes and don't be girly about getting from 1st to 2nd if it's the second one then you need to practice gear changing, simple as that really, try changing gear on the centre stand with you sat on it, yea I know it can be dangerous cos you could take off like a rocket if the back wheel hit's the ground but if your careful and keep the front brake on and the revs low you should be ok, just try to see if it will change gear when your sat on it, if not then your doing something wrong if you can do it by hand but not with your boot. Just my opinion really so take this with a pinch of salt, I could be completely wrong, it has happened before !! :jossun:

PS if you would be so kind as to do an INTRO in the new member section so we can get to now about you, that would be a good thing to (hint).

Thanks guys, (I'll do that intro now!)

In reply:

Yep got the right oil to within the markers on the dipstick

Chain seems okay to me, but got a much more experienced friend coming over later on to check for me.

I adjusted the free-play on the clutch lever which has made a change and slight improvement but not completely fixed. Now (just sat on the bike not riding) the shift still goes from 1st-N but if I release the clutch at N then pull back in and shift up it will go into 2nd okay. At least I can replicate this every time so could just get used to riding that way, but not ideal!

Slice -

I am both a car driver and new rider, but I do give it a right kick to change (after some embarrassing moments pussyfooting around doing the CBT!) and I have also got my (fairly experienced rider) girlfriend to try and she gets the same problem so I'm 99.9% sure it's the bike and not me. As I mentioned on the centre stand it is okay but as soon as I sit on it this issue comes up, which leads me to think it may be the chain.

I'll report back later on after any other changes! Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it! :)

is your gear lever hitting an engine casing therefore needing to be moved on the splined shaft?

Nope, It had been as there was some marks on the engine casing from the lever but I have moved it down a notch now to clear it completely.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online