Local Club member scammed out of 4000pounds

mcferreira100
This post is 3599 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Someone in our local club bought a bike from the UK over the internet only to find out it was a scam. Ive included some details here in case anyone might know something.

Bike is a 1969: Velocette Venom

The ad:

John,

Here is every restorers dream! A nicely dry-stored Velocette Venom 500cc that has been sleeping since 1976!

This example is in need of total restoration. Having said that the engine does turn over nicely and feels good. The gearbox selects all gears OK.

I doubt there would be much trouble in getting this bike running and back on the road as is but really, to be safe I really recommend a complete strip down and thorough clean through.

All alloy engine - no fin damage

Petrol tank dry stored very clean inside.

Both side & centre stands fitted and in good condition.

Brakes free and feel OK.

Frame and engine numbers, RS 12846 & VM3249 are the matching factory originals.

The bike was supplied to Bill Lomas Motorcycles in Milford, Derby on 2nd September 1959; It was registered on 10-02-1960 and sold to a buyer in Chesterfield, Derby on 14th Feb 1960.

I'm asking £4,000 GBP and I will be glad to arrange shipping from the UK. Payment will be accepted via Bank Transfer only.

Many thanks again and regards,

Seller details:

Oscar Davis

Awebjpg_zps5bbc4750.jpg

Shore Rd Freiston Boston,

Lincolnshire PE22 0NF, UK.

Bank details:

Bank Name: Nationwide Bank (Swindon)

Account Name: D.M. Robinson

Account Number: 47028216

Sort Code: 070246

If anyone has info you cam email our member at:

[email protected]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nationwide is a Building Society, not a bank

Sort code - "SORT CODE 07-02-46 is a unique code assigned to NATIONWIDE BUILDING SOCIETY, Swindon, FLEX ACCOUNT 2007 PO BOX 8888, NATIONWIDE HOUSE, PIPERS WAY, WILTS, SN38 1NW, Phone: (8457) 302010, SWINDON. SORT CODE 07-02-46 is used for transferring money between NATIONWIDE BUILDING SOCIETY accounts." - LINKY

Does he have a house number or name for Shore Road?

Have heard of this before, they take an advert from somewhere like ebay and then just dangle it around till someone bites the bait, they take out an account in a local bank or building society using stolen details then have it away with your money before you have time to realise that you have been had, takes balls of steel to get away with it as you have to get the money before the buyer has time to realise that the item has not arrived. Your best bet for buying from a foreign country is to get someone in that country to have a look at it before you part with the cash, if he had asked someone here would have gone to see the bike before he paid out the cash I'm sure. Poor sod has lost his cash I'm afraid, the best he can do is get in touch with the Police force in the location where he bought the bike from an lodge a complaint and get an incident number from them. It might help in tracking them down, Jimmy on here is our onboard Police officer perhaps he can suggest a way to get something in motion to try to get his money back. :shakeno:

Any luck with this problem Mc? :eusa_doh:

Haven't heard anything. Don`t know the guy,just did him a favour by spreading the word.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online