dt125 re slow top speed

DtMitch
This post is 2706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys ive only had my dt for about 3 week and today i got my first chance to open the throttle up properly and i was quite dissapointed by the 65 mph top speed.

The owner before me said he has earthed the cable behind the headlight so i checked today and he has snipped and extended the cable and it goes off underneath the ignition plastic cover thing.

Its got carbon reeds, a 900 miles old top end with 1mm oversize wiesco piston and pulls very well upto 65mph but then seems to just stop, it doesnt feel like im even ragging the hell put of it.

Bearing in mind nearly everyone says they can get 80mph out of it, then you can see why im dissapointed.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice for me? Reading online i found one sight saying to block off the plastic boost bottle thing but i doubt that will do much

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok this is the sort of thing that is always coming up on here "Why won't my bike do 400MPH?" It depends on loads of thing really how big (fat) are you what fuel are you using what tyres do you have what is the pressure in said tyres, I could go on and on about this and still it won't go any faster, sometimes you just have to accept that this is how it is, you might have a problem but just saying "my bike only goes (this) fast" is no help at all FFS and telling us that you have fitted after market bit's and bob's all over it is of no help at all we need to know specific things about your bike to suggest what you might be able to do to get it to go faster, and just cos someone says "my bike does 80" does not in fact mean the it does cos most people lie to your face about how fast the bike they have actually is. We had one kid on here who insisted that his little 125 thingy would do 100 MPH :shakeno: cos of all the things he had done to it, but after a severe ragging he never came back. One suggestion I do have is try ragging it down hill and see how fast it goes then you just MIGHT get 80 out of it. :jossun:

• Like 1

No I was not being sarcy (at least not intentionally) what I mean is that it can be one of so many things that unless you describe exactly what it's doing and what you think it should be doing there's not a lot anyone can say to help you out. Pay no attention to other peoples opinion on the claimed top speed cos as I said they ALL lie through their teeth, look up the top speed that the manufacturer says it should do and if your way off then you have a problem! but if it's just a few MPH out then your stuck with it as it came out of the factory, you have already done the easy things, wiring and new reeds, but there has to be a lot more that you can do but it gets expensive very quickly when you are buying special mods or any bike. Plus the more you push he engine the more delicate it becomes just cos it's not designed to go twice the rated speed, you can make it do that but it WILL go pop. :jossun:

There is no cheap substitute for extra cc's.

As above, keeping the bike in good condition and ignore all of those people who claim their bike can reach 300 MPH and they undertook Michael or Joey Dunlop on a bend around the IOM TT circuit. My 250 trials tops out at about 75/80 but it doesn't feel enjoyable over about 60/65. 2 strokes are fantastic machines but they don't like having the throttle nailed open for long periods of time. Just enjoy the bike for what it is. Fun! I would rather pop around at 50 for a lot of the time than do 80, blow the engine and spend the next couple of months picking chunks of piston out of the crankcases.

• 2 years later...
  • Cynic locked this topic
This post is 2706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.