dt250 1980 fork seals aaaaaaggghhh

MentalScientist
This post is 3749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need to replace the fork seals on my very nearly finished dt250 so I watched a few videos on YouTube and thought 'piece of cake'. Oh dear, bad mistake. I'm having a mare getting them out. The videos show the guy sliding the inner piece like a slide hammer and they just pop out. My bike doesn't seem to have the same end and the innards just slid out leaving the seals in place! Can anyone recommend a method of removing them? Preferably with no expensive tools. I tried prying them out with a screwdriver which just bent and then tried the same with heating up the fork and still no movement. Any help will be greatly received and thanks in advance....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So you have the manual for the bike? If you do it will show you how to remove the seals and even has pictures to make various point you should be aware of, most forks are the same in construction and so I would suggest that you have either missed a step or something might be missing if you cant use the inner fork leg as a slide hammer, DO NOT jam stuff down the fork leg as you will wreck the seal housing and make the leg useless better by far to go back and try again, please DON'T heat the legs again as they are the only thing that stops you head butting the ground and heat will weaken them. Try putting up a couple of pictures of your problem area and we will all have a look and see if there is an obvious solution. :jossun:

This really needs to be in the workshop area.

A pan of hot cooking oil or do what I did last week, take them to a local guy who changed mine for £20, same day.where about are you in the country?

I am in Portslade, E.Sussex - near Brighton. Can you recommend anybody in this neck of the woods?

Slice - I have a Haynes manual which says nothing about removing the fork seals. Have you come across this issue before?

Copying the post to the wprkshop area.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online