Dragstar 650 rectifier needing replacement

Toutsuite
This post is 3655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

With a battery less than a year old gone under 12V and needing replacement, I suspected the charging circuit might not be working so tested the RR and sure enough I'm getting readings between 680 and 705 Volts which means new RR.

Should I go for OEM or try and find a bargain alternative? The cable length might be an issue with the non-OEM one, as it needs to reach underneath the tank where the connector is.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I went for a cheaper alternative when the RR went on my sons xv535, and there have been no issues

I got a very cool 650 Drag reg/rec direct from Wemoto.

Pattern part, but very decent.

• Like 1

+1 on Ttasky, go Wemoto, flipping brilliant not bought a RR but every thing i have bought from them is always on time and fits with no issues

Thanks guys. Does it matter if it's a 5 pin or a 6 pin? The original one is a 5 pin. The connector under the tank has 6 slots however. And is the connector cable long enough to reach up under the tank?

Actually, the first one I bought from them did not fit, but I helped them correct it years ago and they now have the correct one ID'ed.

Tout, the cable should fit just fine. Don't forget that Yam use the same parts on different bikes (the VMax has the same indicators, I think).

IIRC, the Wemoto cable was slightly longer than the OEM. It doesn't go under the tank, though. It's about 8" long and joins the connector just by the footpeg.

This connector then has a cable that goes up into the wiring loom - Is it that you're after as well?

Nope, mine's not like that. The cable from the RR goes up the frame, by the neck and under the tank where the connector is. Its maybe 60cm long.

Mines the same tout but i can unplug the cable from my RR and just change the RR no need to re route the cable.

Hmm, ok I'll check again to see if I can unplug the cable from the RR at the base. Was pretty sure I couldn't but will have another look.

And you can't just unplug it at the reg/rec unit itself?

Why not just use the old wireing and solider it on to the new one,then you can make it a perfect fit. 25 cents worth of solider and shrink tube and bob your uncle it fits

Well, it's confirmed, the bastard fucking thing is hard wired, no plug, and the connector on the bike is deffo a 5-pin, coming out the wire loom under the tank at the neck area. That means I need a good 60cm length. Why the fuck my 2002 custom had to go and be different to anyone else's I don't know. What the fuck are Yamaha playing at? You need to remove a simple component like the RR and you have to take the tank off???

2014-06-17192243.jpg

the connector under the tank. The thick wire you see coming out towards you is the RR connecting wire.

2014-06-17192256.jpg

no plug on the sodding thing...

Tout, what is the big white 6 pin connector in the 1st pic? was that connected to any thing?

• Who's Online (See full list)