This post is 3750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi my name is Alex

I would like to apologize for my abrupt entry into the forum.

Not many forums are real communities nowadays so this is refreshing.

I have always liked and wanted a early DT bike. I am a designer myself and really love their early styling.

I finally managed to get one last week. It is a 1974 yamaha dt 175 in pretty good condition, it hasn't been modded and everything is a bit old but original.

I have lots of questions and would also like to know if there are people in the area with similar bikes

This is my bike as i got it last week

Cheers

Alex

10467810_883457825015568_1011576937_n.jp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome alex, thers a few canadians on here DT50 is an offroader , thats a nice 175, keep it unrestored , too many restored models nowadays, :yeah:

Hullo mate

Welcome to the nuthouse

Lovely looking bike btw

Hi Alex only on the west coast would you find a bike in that shape,or one stashed in a barn,she looks like she need some new tires and it would be road worthy.

Just one thing with a bike of that age the crank seals should be changed,as after 30 years they will have gone hard,Not a overly difficult job and with all the 175 nuts on here you will get all the tip's and info you need to walk you through it. If you know wich end of a screwdrive to use and have some basic tools.The combinded knowlage of theses bike's within the members is everything you will ever need.Untill they stop making parts you will be able to ride that bike, is this your first bike?

I used to borrow a similar bike as a kid, later on in life I made the mistake of buying a sportster, which I didn't keep for very long.

Years went by and I started looking for the type of bike I was familiar with and really liked as a kid.

So not my first bike but hopefully the first bike I will be really happy to own, once I can get it on the road.

The thing about these old bikes when you bring them from the country side is that they may have never been registered. The insurance company looked up the vin number and they can't find it anywhere, so I am going through that process at the moment.

Great tip on the crank seals, I see the bike is smoking quite a bit. I was looking at the transmission oil yesterday and it seems pretty low so that may be it.

Is there a special oil both for transmission and engine these bikes like?

Thanks a bunch

Alex

because it's a 2 stroke the transmission oil is totally sealed from the crank and piston (unlike on a 4 stroke) this means that it stays clean and has a long life, you can put just about anything in there so long as it's motorcycle oil and not car oil. some motorcycle oil will be labelled 4 stroke oil...this is fine to use in a 2 stroke transmission

as for the 2 stroke oil, yeah it's a DT and that makes it not too fussy and will be happy on cheap mineral or expensive fully sythetic, your call really, if you think about it when this bike was made all there was available at that time was mineral oil ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online