finally started my project bike xs400 dohc

Tommy xs
This post is 3678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The problem i have encountered with attempting repairs to cid is they need to be dissasembled to test each resistor,diode ect seperatly,when they are tested in place the values dont come out right and then thiers the main chip what are you going to do if its scrap, write a whole new program for one.

I know that 600 is quite steep for a 30 yr old bike but if your keeping the bike for another 30 yrs then not so bad? I would think that there arn't a whole lot of new ones to be had and in the future even less.Buying a used one for 50 every couple of years will surely add up to 600 at least with a new one you should get 10yrs trouble free possibly 30.

I can see the logic but I just can't afford it at the moment, also its new old stock with no guarantee to work and they have a no returns policy on this type of item. which is what I pointed out to them when I made them a sensible offer which they chose to ignore http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251183452096?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

True I can see why you would be reluctant if they wont guarantee it, option 2 is to get one from this side as most bike's dont see any where near the mileage. Nothing to see bike with only 10- 25k kms on them in the wreckers here,, short seasons of riding and people forget how to ride and crack em up

My buddy own's Sonic Cycle Salvage in London Ont he normaly writes the milage on things like that. I know it's still 30 yrs old but he keeps everything inside in dry storage.

If you want I can ask around. Last year I could have got one off a bike for free,the bike had been sitting in a shed for ??? umteen years and nobody wanted it,, got sent to the recycle yard. I will definatly keep my eyes open and if I see one sitting in a barn or field pull one off for you. I just didn't know anyone who would want old parts like that till I joined the YOC,this side not much intrest in old bikes like yours. After seeing what Drewps did with his 400 I started looking around to build a tracker and well still looking.

• Like 2

was out in the garage last night doing a bit on the bike, I noticed the front brake is still not right, turns out the cylinder seals have gone in the caliper, I managed to strip it down last night but then spent an hour looking for the seal's which I know I have cos' I seen them a few weeks ago while looking for fork seals which I ended up having to buy again, the good news is I found the missing fork seals last night then gave up looking, went back into the house and asked the wife if she'd seen anything that looked like little black rubber rings,

she said oh yes I put them in the draw in your study :crazy: she said I thought they were off your printer :shakeno: anyway found them and that's my job for tonight, will try and get the carbs in before the weekend and get her started up again

put them in your printer Tommy,maybe able to copy some more then :idea:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A big thank you to Drewpy for giving me a set of clocks I went over to his house tonight to pick em up, not bad coffee either

they look really good and should be an easy fit, I took the old ugly oblong thing off tonight and tried them for size and I reckon with only a minor cut on the bracket they'll fit straight on then I just need to sort out the wiring

• Like 1

A big thank you to Drewpy for giving me a set of clocks I went over to his house tonight to pick em up, not bad coffee either

they look really good and should be an easy fit, I took the old ugly oblong thing off tonight and tried them for size and I reckon with only a minor cut on the bracket they'll fit straight on then I just need to sort out the wiring

nice one, glad they fit.

• 4 weeks later...

yes I know its been a while what can I say I'm a lazy f#cker. I have done few bits got the bike running even had a little go.

Drewpy very kindly gave me some clocks from a xs250/400 which I striped the bracket and the bowls then painted. I bought a new headlight from ebay and fitted them on the bike although they will have to come off again as still a lot panting etc to do

photo116_zpsf6b840c4.jpg

photo314_zps5dc93566.jpg

photo310_zps4429dddc.jpg

photo28_zps74e49ab6.jpg

photo17_zps21e6d5af.jpg

still working on the idiots lights not sure which way to go with them yet

must say the round headlight is really growing on me. i think this is going to look a lot better than the squared one & same with the round clocks

photo216_zps8a3d814a.jpg

since painted top yoke & handlebar mounts, now waiting for new handle bars to arrive will take a pic when there on

• Like 2

Yep comming along nice .I will agree I think the round does look better the small indicators 2 to 1 pipe,shouldn't have any trouble selling if you choose to

• Like 1

think I will sell! but will ride it for a while first then sell & move on to something bigger :spin2:

did you pick up the email I sent you re:xj600?