finally started my project bike xs400 dohc

Tommy xs
This post is 3678 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Them 400s are the easiest motors to change,and it would make getting the carbs off and on alot easier and if it turns out to be a dud then you know to strip it for parts and free up some garage space.But them motors are pretty bulit proof. I had one for a month while i was bulding my fz and I thrashed the living piss out of it sold it to a friend and he thrashed it for 3 years and sold it on and other tthan changing the oil never had to do anything to it.He used to ride it 10hrs every weekend back and forth from london to north bay each way none stop

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes I think that's what I'll do, I think it is a lot lower mileage than the motor that's in now, the only problem is my brother got it off ebay as a stolen recovered and the bike had taken a bit of a beating hence my brother giving it to me, bullet proof I hope so, but as you say its a simple swap so nothing really to loose I'll take some pics at the weekend and get cracking :hyper:

Won some nos carbs on ebay today they'll go on my first bike and use the carbs off that on this one as these keep leaking, had them off once already but hadn't managed to cure them, probably just float level, I thought I just hadn't tightened them up properly after cleaning them, oh well this should be an easy fix.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251558327562?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

shiny shiny

Don't think you'd get them for that now Drew that was a good score. These are a little less than £600 from Fowlers

Don't think you'd get them for that now Drew that was a good score. These are a little less than £600 from Fowlers

ouch,they were ex college ones so were stripped a few times for practice

Last night I decided to give the spare motor a clean up before fitting and noticed the clutch input shaft has been snapped half way through the casing so not knowing how much more damage has been done, I decided to just take out the pickup coils & the alternator & fitted them to the bike tonight. Result I now have both coils sparking :hyper: and all the P.O's butchered wiring replaced. got my new carbs today but don't want to risk messing with my bike before this weekend as I'm off to Barnsley show with go, with Drew & don't to f#ck it up, so project bike will have to wait for its carbs till next week :eusa_think:

• Like 2

Good to hear that there was something on that spare motor to get you going.

Yer dont do nothing to the bike now bar put fuel in it and air in the tyres!

Good to hear that there was something on that spare motor to get you going.

Yer dont do nothing to the bike now bar put fuel in it and air in the tyres!

still needs a bit of cash throwing as it unfortunately new tyres & a battery plus a few other bits

• Like 1

tonight I decided to fit a new clutch cable to my first bike cos I thought old one had stretched, turns out it hadn't I should have tried to adjust properly instead of just at the handle bars. anyway fitted new said cable and went for a little spin make sure everything is good for the weekend, clutch feels great then bike starts playing up, I thought I'd run out of fuel, managed to limp home and after a lot of head scratching I decided to try the cdi from my project bike and sure enough that's the problem, seem's as soon as I start work on this project I have to take bits off her again, now I've got to wait for another cdi to come up on ebay :madflame: it took about 6 months to find that one, at least I can carry on working on it in the meantime though.

LOL just wondering what do you feed your CDI's on that side of the pond,other than salt on a dialy basis,,,we dont have that many problems with them...Honestly I have seen them go for 25 + yrs. Are you sure you just didn't need to clean the terminals? Sealed units dont let alot of crap in????

EDIT: seriuosly my old 1981 gs 1100 is still running on the original CDI I sold it back in 2000

I wonder now if Drewp's hasn't been chasing his tailo over bad TCI unit yam didn't use them for many years??????

the problem is the're all at around 30 years old. I found a nos one on ebay U.S but they want $599 plus postage, I made them a sensible offer for it a while ago but they ignored me, its still on there but that's a bit rich for me.

got one from ebay £50 with delivery just hope its ok, will still look up Rex later as I like to have a spare if poss

thanks for the tip Paul :jossun:

The only issue is if the inside of the unit is encapsulated in resin, although I'm led to believe it can be dissolved away I think elektronikery folks are not too keen to work on that type

mine isn't Jim, I had one to bits last year, not one of my best ideas as I completely balls it :crazy:

Well thats good news then Tommo. Is there no elekronikery peeples among your customers, mate. Someone with the correct equipment and knowledge would be able to test it

The problem i have encountered with attempting repairs to cid is they need to be dissasembled to test each resistor,diode ect seperatly,when they are tested in place the values dont come out right and then thiers the main chip what are you going to do if its scrap, write a whole new program for one.

I know that 600 is quite steep for a 30 yr old bike but if your keeping the bike for another 30 yrs then not so bad? I would think that there arn't a whole lot of new ones to be had and in the future even less.Buying a used one for 50 every couple of years will surely add up to 600 at least with a new one you should get 10yrs trouble free possibly 30.