Oil level?

mailee
This post is 3761 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you probably know I own a Virago 750 and have a bit of a problem. When I try to check the oil I can't see through the small round window due to it being a nicotine brown colour. Is there another way to check how much oil is in there?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I had a similar issue with my boys 535, and I had planned to remove the cover to clean it that way but prior to me doing that, the way I (accidently) cured his was by dropping out the starter motor (on an unrelated issue) and when I refitted it the oil level became clear to read. Didnt understand how that worked, but it did for his bike

Could be that the nicotine brown colour is actually oil

Get someone to lean the bike so that the oil should run off the window. If it does, and when the bike is levelled again the oil covers all the window, then youve too much oil in

If the window is shitted up, then to clean it youll probably have to take the case off, Id guess that the window is held in with a cirlip on the inside?

If the window is coated and you don't want to remove the cover you'll just have to change the oil and fill with the recommended quantity . As stated above , it could be that at present the oil level is above the window , in which case you'll see the level after the oil change .

If the window is coated and you don't want to remove the cover you'll just have to change the oil and fill with the recommended quantity . As stated above , it could be that at present the oil level is above the window , in which case you'll see the level after the oil change .

Bad idea. You will never remove all of the oil from an engine, esp a vtwin. All the valve gear and such. You could be looking at 10 per cent or more hanging about. (It is designed to stay on components).

The oil quantities quoted is just what you should expect it to take.

Agreed with Cynic, your never get ALL the oil out unless you strip the engine down.

Mailee, prop the bike up on a block of wood under the side stand (with some thing to stop it falling over the other way) or get a helper to sit the bike up straight as said above and check the oil glass then.

if you still can not see the oil drop then drain the oil and take off the cover, you can get a cotton ear bud in there to clean them but if you want to take the glass out is just a circlip and then it pops out.

But dont forget to buy a new gasket for the cover before you take it off. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online