Mods and Rockers

jimmy
This post is 3760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

2100hrs tonight on BBC4

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dont know, I'm not a TV Programmer

• Like 1

They must use archive footage (obviously)

this is what's said online

Series 14 Episode 1 of 7

Duration: 1 hour

A trip back to the days when 'style wars' were just that - violent confrontations about the clothes you wore. Spring 2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the bank holiday 'battles of the beaches', when hundreds of mods and rockers flocked to seaside resorts on scooters and motorbikes in search of thrills and spills.

Timeshift tells the story of how this led to violence, arrests and widespread concern about the state of British youth. But mods and rockers had more in common than was first obvious - they were the first generation of baby boomers to reach their teenage years at a time when greater prosperity and wider freedoms were transforming what it meant to be young.

Here's me in 1978 in my home town of Brighton on my first ever motorbike, all right........... scooter!

I never purchased it to be a mod, I bought it for £12 because it was all i could afford and It was a stepping stone to get on the road.

Other friends had various colours of FS1E's, a Vespa, Puch maxi, Honda 'Hairdryer' SS50, a Yamaha RD250 in blue and the best of all was the FANTIC Chopper!

Remember back then the Limit was 250cc not 125cc.

This was a 1961 175cc Li series 2 which i purchased a few years earlier in 1975 from a friends brother from 'around the corner' he'd owned it through the 60's in Brighton.

It was therefore a genuine mod bike, purchased I might add..... BEFORE the 70's mod revival.

This blue one went to the great scrapyard in the sky and It appears to be still registered to me on the DVLA website, not sure what happened there as I sent back the log book saying it was scrapped!

I did purchase a bright orange one as a replacement for about £75 (loads of money back then!!)

I put on loads of mirrors and flyscreen and then Quadrophenia came out and I sold it for hundreds of pounds!! can't remember how much exactly but I made a mint........and have never managed to make any money

thereafter!!!

Just Look at those Flares!

• Like 1

still got some flares somewhere,hang'in onto 'em cos they'll be back in fashion one day! oh yes they will. :eusa_whistle:

Thanks for the heads up Jimmy, watched it last night, can't say it took me back as was a bit before my time but did enjoy it :headbang:

I caught it and was very good.

Liked the portrayal from the media it was an all out battle, so then the kids obliged them in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I once had a Vespa 81 model. I was 16 at the time and I loved it. I thought I was cool as on it. One day I'd like to buy a Lambretta but, they go for silly money nowadays though.