1975 DT400 Turn Signal/Brake Light Issues

dew05001
This post is 3550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My turn signals are causing me a major headache. Let me give you some background:

BIke has new 6v bulbs all around.

New Flasher relay (2 prong its so hard to find a 6v 3 prong - so i have a ground that is wide open)

Brake light no longer illuminates when I pull the brake and when I installed the new flasher relay it worked for about 5 minutes and now the blinkers and horn dont work. **Headlight works fine**

Fuse is still good, even put in a new one and it didnt make a difference. All the bulbs are still good.

In Short:

-No Horn

-No Turn Signals

-Tail light comes on but does not brighten with brake

PLEASE HELP!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And the battery voltage is?.....

And the battery voltage at 3000 rpm is?

If you couldnt tell, I am a newbie. I totally spaced to check the voltage. I put a new battery in it last month, but it would make sense to check that if the horn is out too. Ill check that tonight and repost.

My turn signals are causing me a major headache. Let me give you some background:

BIke has new 6v bulbs all around.

New Flasher relay (2 prong its so hard to find a 6v 3 prong - so i have a ground that is wide open)

Brake light no longer illuminates when I pull the brake and when I installed the new flasher relay it worked for about 5 minutes and now the blinkers and horn dont work. **Headlight works fine**

Fuse is still good, even put in a new one and it didnt make a difference. All the bulbs are still good.

In Short:

-No Horn

-No Turn Signals

-Tail light comes on but does not brighten with brake

PLEASE HELP!

Can you clarify what you are saying here dew?

I think you"l find a break in the Brown wire between the flasher/ horn and stop/tail. the brown connects all 3 .

Am amazed you got the 2 pin flasher to work. i needed a 3 pin,,,as 2 pins dont work on mine,,,,

Cynic: I tested the battery and when the bike is off the battery was at 5.65 and at 3000rpm it was 3.53.

Airhead: When I first got the bike and put a new battery in it I could only get the signals to illuminate, but not flash. So I was told in other forums to swap out the flasher relay. The original relay had 3 connections, but I had a hard time finding a reasonable priced 6v flasher relay with 3 connectors that said it was compatible with the dt400. So I bought an after market relay and I had to swap out the original connectors for female attachments. I hooked the solid brown to the X and the brown/white stripe to the L and the instruction said this flasher did not require the black ground wire.

Black: I don't know I I can say I got it to work because as soon as I buzzed off a 1/4 down the road it stopped working.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dew,

Your voltages are too low. Battery should be well over 6 Volts DC when stopped, and should be over 7 volts at 3000 rpm. It sounds to me like you are not charging, either due to low system output or a phantom load.

While bike is at 3000 rpm, I would check for about 8 volts AC from lighting coil feeding the rectifier first. I only have a DT360 schematic to go by, but I think this is the white wire going to the rectifier. If this is OK, I would look to see if you have a bad rectifier - a service manual tells how to check this.

Checking for phantom load is more involved, can advise more on this if u need it

Good luck

Jeff in Colorado

• Like 1

I switched over to LED's on mine and used an electronic relay - works a treat and indicators flash consistently even when idling.

Bulbs were off ebay and the flasher relay was from here: http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/710/category/161 (but I'm sure you'd be able to get one locally).

Only thing you have to do is disconnect one of the connections to the indicator lamp in the rev counter, else you'll just have hazard flashers. And you also need to do some patch cabling to connect the relay as the connections on the block connector are the wrong way round and I couldn't get the spades out of the connector.

But as others have said, charging on your bike seems to be an issue.

So I found the rectifier and completly removed it from the bike to test..(is that correct?) I was able to get a noise from the voltage meter when tested as follows:

Voltage Meter Rectifier

RED----------------------White

BLACK-------------------Red

I charged that battery and took the bike for a 15 min ride and the power to the blinkers, horn, and tail light were all restored.

My next issue is with the tail light.. It does not brighten when i pull the hand brake or engage the foot brake. It will brighten when I flip the light switch from low to high. Lastly, the tail light is flashing with the turn signals. Any ideas?

This is the relay I am using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Winker-Relay-NEW-DT250-DT400-DT50-/310442627308?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1975|Model%3ADT400&hash=item4847d290ec&vxp=mtr

The original had 3 connectors, this one only has 2 and the black wire is left open as of the moment, when I touch the black wire to the engine, in attempts to ground it, nothing happens.

I am getting a message saying I am unable to attach images in this forum, so if there is a way to do that let me know and I will post some.

My next issue is with the tail light.. It does not brighten when i pull the hand brake or engage the foot brake. It will brighten when I flip the light switch from low to high. Lastly, the tail light is flashing with the turn signals. Any ideas?

You have a bad earth, . remove them and clean , Also" what voltage come into battery , engine running,,?

I just charged the battery last night, I will test the voltage again tonight and repost. You mentioned a "bad earth" what is that? Is there multiple? If so where are they located and what is the best way to clean them? Thanks.

some earths are thru the actual body of stems[ indicator] or black wires to frame.. :yeah:

check volts in battery before starting and after,,,post the results,,

Could be dirty switch contacts, it often is

to prove...run a jumper wire from battery + to any brown wire connection...and report back

Could you explain how the jumper wire works just clip red to red and red to brown? When I run a wire from the battery + to a brown connector what should i be looking for should the blinker illuminate and stay solid or flash? Do I need to mess with the blinker switch at all? What should I be looking for in the brake light?

Results from testing the battery:

Ignition in the OFF position: 6.07

Ignition in the ON Position: 5.73

Running Idle: 6.45

Running @ 3000 rpms: 6.56

Results from using the jumper wire:

FIrst off, I clipped one one end of the jumper wire to the battery + and i had exposed wire on the other end of the jumper wire. I then proceeded to unplug the turn signals and brake lights from the female connectors and tested using the male components and the live end of the jumper wire.

When touching to the turn signals the lights illuminated and were solid, which I expected, since I was by passing the relay.

The tail light had 3 wires: Yellow, Blue and Black and using the jumper wire I got the following results

Yellow: Normal running tail light

Blue: Bright Tail LIght

Black: Nothing

Should I be using the jumper wire differently?

Results from using the jumper wire:

FIrst off, I clipped one one end of the jumper wire to the battery + and i had exposed wire on the other end of the jumper wire. I then proceeded to unplug the turn signals and brake lights from the female connectors and tested using the male components and the live end of the jumper wire.

When touching to the turn signals the lights illuminated and were solid, which I expected, since I was by passing the relay.

The tail light had 3 wires: Yellow, Blue and Black and using the jumper wire I got the following results

Yellow: Normal running tail light

Blue: Bright Tail LIght

Black: Nothing

Should I be using the jumper wire differently?

Well yes, I said to plug it in with any brown, for example you may find a brn at the rear brake switch , shove the jumper in with this brown and then test things as if you were riding the bike as normal...lights...turn sigs...brakes...horn...tail light...tail light with turn sigs etc

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online