Carbtune carburetor balancer

neversaydie
This post is 3632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been noticing a slight hesitinacy on throttle response when winding on full, and from take off from standstill, on the YX600, since the intermittent electrical problem was cured some weeks ago. As part of the fault finding process for the electrical problem, I had the carbs off. Rather than have them off again, I thought id best check first that the carbs are balanced properly, as that may save further investigative work, and expense.

Had a quick check of feedback for the Carbtune balancer, seemed positive, and reasonably priced, so purchased one, the 4 cylinder version.

Instructions read through, easy enough to understand, all parts and attachments included to do the job, so in we go.

Took the bike out for a 5 mile run to get the engine warmed up.

Tank clamp screw removed and raised the rear of the tank up 3-4 inches, packed up with a piece of wood.

4 rubber caps removed from the engine inlet rubbers

4 rubber tubes plugged on as per instructions, gauge hung over the bars

Bike fired up, tickeover speed checked ok

3 out the 4 cylinders all reading the same, no1 cylinder some way out

Adjusted the screw for no1 cylinder to same as other 3, snapped the throttle half a dozen times, looking good, all 4 cylinders reading the same now

Dis connected the Carbtune, tank etc back on

Took bike out for 20 mile run, absolutely no hestitancy now, anywhere through the rev range

Total time taken for the work - 1 hour

Overwiew: Informative website, easy to purchase, quick delivery, easy to follow instructions, simple to use, results are obvious to read, response to any carb adjustments require throttle opening/closing to allow to settle but are easy to see on the clear gauges. Immediate improvement in bike performance, and once youve bought it, you always got it, and can be used on modern fuel injected motors too to balance throttle bodies

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/Images/SSL11411LC.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got a set of vacuum dial gauges from a show years ago (£20)

always use them (and so do my friends)

Used to have to do that regular on my old 600, you only need a 2cyl set for them. If you do it regular you will feel when they are out. As well as other bikes feeling horrid.

Like Drewpy I have the vacuum gauges rather than the thing you have, must say that yours is supposed to be the better of the dials/gauges out there.

Like Drewpy I have the vacuum gauges rather than the thing you have, must say that yours is supposed to be the better of the dials/gauges out there.

the glass tubes and the sliders are also available as spares, should any break

I used one on my Speedtwin (single carb model) but it never made much of a difference :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

I used one on my Speedtwin (single carb model) but it never made much of a difference :eusa_shifty::eusa_shifty:

you could balance it on a weighing scale with, say, an orange or packet of dried peas?

At lest you can calibrate your gauges off it.

No have to be a MELON Drewpy, those old Brit bike bit's are heavy !!!! :biglaugha:

• Like 2

I have the early Morgan mercury gauges which were good, I also have 4 bank of Davida dial gauges I dont use either of these as over 30 years old now.

I have used a Twinmax electronic carb & injection syncing unit for 10+ years as its far more accurate, you have to calibrate it everytime so you know its going to be working correctly. I cant recommend it enough.

I'm even trying to use it on my RD's which isnt easy.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online