Endless chain v removable link

mike1949
This post is 3780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can you replace an endless chain with a chain with a removable link?

Why do some bikes have a removable link and some bikes have an endless chain which is a pain in the arse to remove?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah I'm a fan of the split lik too, I'll be needing a new chain on the bandit within 5000 miles but that could take ages. I'd like to fit a split link too when the time comes unless theres a good reason not to

I think once you go over chain size 520 you only get a rivit link suplied . a mate says " big horsepower bikes should have rivit link ,

:shrug:

That's what I'm wondering too Paul, What is the purpose of an endless chain? my main worry is it because of the speed of the bike would a linked chain be more likely to come apart? I doubt it, so when do you stop putting a linked chain and then putting an endless chain?

I think once you go over chain size 520 you only get a rivit link suplied . a mate says " big horsepower bikes should have rivit link ,

:shrug:

This is what I'm trying to ascertain Blackie,

big horsepower bikes should have rivit link

Why?

You dont need a rivet on a lc. Makes less go than my TDR250 and that uses a split link.

Wonder if road speed is a bigger factor.

Any DIY chain link will be the weakest kink (pardon the pun) in a chain, so torquey motors are better off with endless chains. They take longer to change but it will give you the opportunity to inspect the swingarm pivot which most riders don't maintain.

I am a fan of the split link. The largest I have knowingly used one on was a 1980's GSXR750. Apart from the FZ8, all of my bikes run a split link.

When I change a chain I tend to go for a heavy duty X ring. I saves having to mess about with adjustment as often. If the chain doesn't come with a split link, I buy one (often 2) separately. I would guess that it is easier, and cheaper, to fit soft links during the manufacturing process.

After watching my neighbour, and saving him from himself with his endless chain I think they should be sold without a split or with a split link.

Diy soft links? Im amazed its legal when you think of the possible consequence.

• Like 1

I have seen them peined on so hard that they don't move until forced to go around a sprocket.

The pin and side plate sizes are the same for both links so providing the securing clip stays on; what's the difference!

Over 125cc, I generally won't trust a split-link chain.

Been present when one split on a 600 Divvy, as the rider was banked over on a roundabout - Chain went flying out from the underside of the bike and across the road, narrowly missing the outside rider. The Divvy rider was very lucky to stand the bike up and slow to a halt, as she almost decked into a lowside from sudden loss of drive power!!

I've broken 3 chains in my riding life, all of them split link but all broke on riveted links!

I don't see the problem with split links

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online