dtr creamy oil

dsb2014
This post is 3667 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all not been on for a bit been working away. my dtr is running now as per my last post. wen i first got it the oil was creamy color so ive done a full rebuild and changed all seals and gaskets. i went for a ride out yesterday and come home to no coolant. ive undone the oil fill cap and notice creamy colored oil on the clutch so ive undone the oil drain plug to find its full with contaminated oil and the rest of my coolant.

before i did the rebuild i did just replace the pump seal and then it was still the same this is wen iv done the rebuild so its had two water pump seals both were genuine

thanks in advance guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Water in the oil = mayonaise

Seals, gasket or warped head. If you changed the seals with genuine ones then either the gaskets were cheap ones or the gaskets can't seal correctly as the head is warped.

Tricky, there are no water galleries in the bottom end. There is a pipe brings water in from the rad, then another taking it to the cylinder.

The water stays in the barrel and head. Being a 2stroke there is no valve trrain to complicate things or allow water in either.

You need to check the pump fully, there may be a crack in the casting allowing water to pass, maybe a wear ridge on the shaft.

Could you remove the rh case and then do a pressure test much like a bike puncture. The system only runs at about 6psi so a couple of corks and a football pump would do it.

Does seem odd though.

+1 with Cynic the problem has to be in the water pump,seals,shaft or caseing its the only path for coolant to get into the gear box. Head barrel cracks would have the coolant in the exhaust pipe or it would run like a steem eng. or pressurizing the coolant system and blowing back out.

yeah cheers fellas. my local garage said today that the head gasket would leak out and theres no real way it would enter the gear box. im gonna order a new seal and new pump see if this cures it. i will keep u updated

Why throw darts at it ??????As Cynic pointed out you can quite easly do a pressure test of the cooling system and see where it leaks from then order parts and fix it right.

It will do you no good to change the pump and seals if the case is cracked.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE! did the test recommended no where could i hear the leak or wd40 shown any thing ive now had a shop put a new seal on the pump new pump and new gasket genuine 1. the oil still gone creamy but ive noticed after a few rides that the coolant has only dropped 4ml so im thinking that its what was left over from inside the gear box. my question of the day is how can i flush the gear box without stripping the whole thing down

Drain the oil, add oil, drain and repeat.

Myself, I would prob stick some diesel in there and run the engine for a minute or 2. Not ride anywhere. Then drop out then refil with cheap nasty sacrificial oil. Then if that is ok after a short ride. Change the oil for your normal flavour.

Once you can trust it a proper ride to bring the motor to proper temp should evaporate any remaining coolant. Its not easy stuff to remove.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online