my 125 has packed in... 1 week before my test! please help :)

paranoid
This post is 3796 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i'm running a 2010 yamaha ybr 125 on L plates. i've got my test next week so i'm wanting to practice my skills. typically, it's decided to stop working! at first, i turn the key to 'on' and the lights would come on but it wouldn't fire up when i pressed the ignition button. the more times i tied it, the weaker the lights got until the point where no lights came on at all :(

i took the battery off and stuck it on charge, but the charging unit said it was 'max'. so i used a multimeter to check the resting voltage, which was over 13v (which i believe is ok?) so i don't think the battery's at fault. i've checked the blue fuse that's connected to the positive cable and that appears to be fine..... so i'm kinda stuck what to look at next???

one thing i did notice was when i hooked up the battery to the bike to try it again, when i turned the key to 'on' i heard a strange crackling sort of sound (kind of like sparks of electricity), but then it went quiet again and the lights worked for a short while but the engine still wouldn't start. then the lights faded out again

any ideas?

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Got a car in the family?

Get some jump leads and connect your bike to it. It wont hurt the car battery and then start the bike.

Sounds like a bad cell in the battery. It will still give 13v but the bad cell will have no power.

That should do to prove the battery. If it starts straight up, easy fix.

just to let you know, when i checked the voltage again whilst the battery was back on the bike, it was just under 13v and when i turned the key to 'on' it dropped to under 5v! so i've ordered a new one

thanks

Late reply i know, but i had the same thing with my bike. its definatly a dead cell in the battery and a new one is needed (just like you have done :))

It may be worth noting that car battey chargers and boosters are not designed for 12v motorbike batteries.