Unridables Part 2

drewpy
This post is 3802 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Grand Prix 500: The Rainey Days

Tomorrow 24th april on ITV4 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Sports documentary follow up programme in the Unrideables series this time focusing on the story of US motorcycling hero Wayne Rainey who dominated the sport in the 1980s and early 90s.

Rainey at this time was locked into a weekly two-wheel stuggle in the world championship with rivals Eddie Lawson and Michael Doohan, but it was gangly Texan Kevin Schwantz who was his main rival.

The film includes incredible footage of those heady days, and the men involved talk candidly about their amazement at some of the things they did on the track, and about the price they sometimes had to pay in injuries. It also includes contributions from journalists, managers and their busy PR team. SUB
Sport Motorcycling

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

shit, it was wednesday :shakeno:

the TIVO recorded it, but you guys might not have been lucky.

some shit going down with all the crashes on those beasts.

Even Mick Doohan in there

Yeh , 2 strokes were king then,,,, real bikes as Rossi said :yeah: , no traction control . just your skill.

Yep they were the elite of the sport,after they went to 4strokers it just wasn't the same,somthing about the sound of a pack of angry mean 2t's at full rev to get you excited in a way the 4ts just dont do it.

And as BH point out no ovreriding tec BS real men with big balls on the edge of death and the only thought they had ATM was I want to win,and to think we have better road tires now then the race tires they used.

I would love to see the show have to keep a eye on u tube someone will put it up eventualy

Id like to see what one of the current riders could do on those old strokers.

Dont forget there wasnt personal nannys checking everything, diet exercise. Those guys partied round the world. Rock up to the track still wasted.

there was none of that level of grip from the tyres back then. You can even see the difference by the way the bikes handled along with the power delivery.

Schwantz said the difference between staying on the bike or leaping 2 storeys was 1mm of the throttle.

I saw the 89 GP at donnington and the whole place was electric. I wanted Rocket Ron to win be he was so outclassed.

92 GP at laguna seca,what a party.Back in the days when you could get into the pits and meet the riders,got a picture some where of me sitting on rainys 89 bike in the yam factory display area.The bike was so small,and i got my dream lap on a gp bike,OK it was just a dream lap but for the few minitues i sat on the bike I could just imagine what it would be like.

And just walking over the cork screw thinking how much balls it takes to go blind into a corrner like that at the speed they did,it didn't suprize me when Doohan crashed

• Like 1

Ron Haslam was my favourite rider, my memory tells me he was unbeatable in the wet, but probably not