where to start to tackle this one!

shaun_1990
This post is 3824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey everyone, Have not been online for a while been busy at work & trying to get the bike clean in areas that have been left to build up a mass amount of grease...

anyway after spending what seems like an eternity wiping excess grease/chain lube from around the chain runner/front sprocket/all areas near there with a tooth brush (not my current morning use brush) & some gunk, I took a step back admired what was now looking clean & with it being a warm sunday got it out for a quick blast.

got back and had another look at the front of the engine just behind the exhaust & OH MY DAYS! looks like it has got all 11,000 miles of dirt...grit & crap off the road stuck to the engine now I have got a picture & I am sorry for the shocking images (not safe for child views.. this is filth...)

ready...

you sure?

okay you asked...

image-8.jpg

anyway I'm unsure how to start to tackle this one, should I stick at it with a toothbrush & gunk or should I get something else on to it? I am getting abit ocd with cleaning this bike, after my first proper ride out (about 130 miles) to whitchurch and back through b roads I love the power & how it feels to just let it flow around bends, trying to get it as spotless as possible, which to some may seem pointless but as its something I enjoy & have for a fun purpose opposed to a work purpose I don't mind spending the time, any advice on how to remove this grime would be great.

sorry for the essay, but its tuesday night..that is my reason :L

happy riding!

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gunk and a good sized paint brush will do the trick mate. And a good rinse with a hose pipe.

paint brush? i was thinking toothbrush (only because of a harder bristle so that it will shift the crap to? sorry if that sounds like a silly idea?

That's why you get the sunny sunday riders......

min 20deg and 0 chance of rain they emerge,

I go out on the bike regardless of weather, however I do not use it for work, and if it is raining I would prefer to use the car because I don't want to get soaked and not enjoy a ride but I will not weather stop me if I want a ride out.

Shaun, what about one of those long bottle brushes that you get from your local home brew shop, they have long handles and stiff bristles, might be just what your looking for.

IKEA do a washing up brush with a suction cup on one end. The bristles are just the right shape and hardness. If you can't get to ikea, people sell them on fleabay. They are 99p from ikea and a couple of quid from fleabay. One of those and some gunk should do it. Cleaning tips from me! Now that is scary.

Cheers for the info I will have a look into those brushes see what I can get before the weekend :)