Damn. Both bikes down now

neversaydie
This post is 3787 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Walked into the garage this morning, stink of petrol. Wet patch under the Virago (out on it yesterday 80 miles or so).

Seemed to be dripping from the cover on the left side, whicj covers the fuel pump. took the cover off and fuel was dripping from what appears to be (I'm guessing) an overflow pipe from the carb on the opposite side of the motor. Put bike on centre stand, stopped dripping. Quick visual revealed nothin

Swtiched on and tried to fire up, part turned over then jammed up. Took front plug out and petrol flowed from the plug port, took back plug out and nothing coming out

Motor now turns over, turned it over a few times to expel fuel from front cylinder, plugs refitted.

Key in and tried to fire the bike up, few turns then fired up fine, no visual or noise problems, appears ok.

Have left the bike back on its side stand, will leave it overnight to see if the spill returns

I'm guessing here that it could be the vac petcock letting fuel through to the carb although I would have expected both carbs to fill), or float just on the one carb

Doesnt look like any fuel in the oil

Am I on the right track here?

Any comments welcome

Thanks

Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't know your bike in particular but it only takes a small bit of crud in the float bowl to jam inside the float mechanism for it to leak, if it's stopped then pretty sure your ok would only worry if it keeps leaking or does it again on a regular basis.

Yip ray" that jam was Hydrolic lock . :eusa_doh: seen triples on forum, when the oil pump and check valve pass oil . and when try to start = bent con rod. your on the right track , as them guys said,,

What beats me is" the overflow should prevent the fuel entering cylinder , But my old iliminator did the same, smell the oil , it will be contaminated,,,and will be diluted = poor lube, :yeah:

Dropped the oil out of the Virago this morning, came out like piss, definitely more came out than oil I've put in, so contains fuel. Got the carbs now too, so will try and have a look at them over the next few days.

Still got the Radian down as well, second hand generator would probably work but not for long, exploring exchange options on that

Pretty fed up at the minute

Bad luck NSD still when your all the way at the bottom it can only get better, take a look at my Suzi photos in MY VEHICLES section if you want to feel better, 5 months work and the valve falls out, go figure !!!!

Dropped the oil out of the Virago this morning, came out like piss, definitely more came out than oil I've put in, so contains fuel. Got the carbs now too, so will try and have a look at them over the next few days.

Dont skip it. Its good for getting the chimnea going

Outofcontrolchimnea_zps2edfcfa1.jpg

just had the same problem on my xs400 4 ltrs out, only holds 2.5,mine was the petrol tap vac, did an oil & filter change today will do another tomorrow just to be on the safe side. good luck with yours NSD

Hmmmm, that looks a bit healthier

P3190470.jpg

Took it for a 10 mile run, seems fine

Rigged up an LED indicator so that I can see whats happening while I'm moving, as I need to build some confidence back up in the bike, seems to work fine, all LEDs lit on the run

P3190471.jpg

Float needle and seat arrived today,. Checked against the old one before starting to fit

The hole size in the new one is smaller than the hole size in the old one. Everything else appears to be the same

P3200472.jpg

P3200473.jpg

Checked before buying, dont appear to be a range of sizes to choose from as with the jets

Ok to fit?

Any differences in performance as a result?

Nope, no numbers on the old seat. The kit is sold as carb repair kit, contains seat/valve chamber gasket and a very small o ring that ive yet to identify

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XV750-XV1100-XV-750-1100-VIRAGO-CARB-CARBURETTOR-REPAIR-KIT-/120952875127?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1c295a6877

You have to remove the ring that holds the filter from the end of the seat, the numbe ris underneath the ring

Old number is 2.3, new number is 1.5

Its my cock up, I've ordered the wrong seat, for 92 to 94 bike, should have been 97

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Radians running fine still, just carbs to balance up

Viragos carbs stripped, surprisingly clean, fitted the small bowl filter that was damaged, all scrupulously cleaned and re-fitted. Fired up first time but running shite, open the throttle and it bogs. Balanced the carbs, still no better. Checked the float levels, look ok to me, plugs sparkign good, new fuel, still crap.

Plugs black, so looks to be rich, but cant locate mixture adjustment screws, Mikuni BST40 carbs

Can't say for sure bout the carb on your bike as I dont know them all by letter numerical id but alot of carbs have a blocking plug over the mixture screw,and need to be removed to access the mix screw.I drill a 1/32 hole from the side just above( about 2-3 mm) the blanking plug and they pop out

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online