Tools for a chain and sprocket swap

Ogwen
This post is 3824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I've read the chain thread that is pinned above, and I am happy tackling it. I have a garage with light and power to do the work, and plenty of tools - I could just do with tips on what tools are needed to swap everyting over? I'll consult the Haynes fairy story manual but I'd rather hear from someone who has done the job:)

I've found a place that will do the chain and sprockets set for £40 delivered whichs sounds ok

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Ogwen

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It a simple straight foward job,loosen the front sprocket bolt first before removing the rest, if it's the factory chain then you will need a chain breaker or grinder to open the chain to remove it.

When installing the new chain if using a split link the heel (closed) end goes in the direction of travel.

No problem,but if you intend on riding for a few years then buy a chain breaker they are cheap and make life so much easier. ESP when the new chain comes and is too long.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, the chain and sprocket swap is done! I used the grinder for the chain no problem, and plenty of plusgas to loosen the bolts on the front sprocket cover. All good! Next job, headset bearing....

• Like 2

Well done mate. The wee jobs give you a bit of satisfaction

• Like 1