is this even possible what I am thinking?

shaun_1990
This post is 3843 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone, I have a strange question, as Much as I love my xj6n there is one thing that I am not keen on & that is the front forks, is it possible to fit the forks of an fz8.

I know this is a question likely to be a one off, but I don't know where to start with regards to looking for measurements or if mounting points would be the same :eusa_shifty:

thanks for any help or any comments.

Shaun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I can't imagine it would be that easy, and if the geometry is not the same handling will go seriously wrong.

I have seen a guy on fz6 forum who has fitted r6 forks, maybe just a bad idea haha

You can do anything with enough cash.

Whats wrong with the fz6 forks?

You would probably need a full front end and try and get it to fit at the yolk/triple tree part of the FZ6 frame. It was the swingarm that pushed me towards a FZ8. - mind you, the FZ8 forks are massive. Old style R1 forks and brakes I am let to believe.

Virtually anything could be fitted onto your bike.

If you make a radical change, then your bike will handle radically different - makes sense.

If you can get the forks you want, to fit in your current triples (yokes) that would be ideal.

The next option would be to do a complete front end swap. Gotta make sure the front end you pick works with your current back end. i.e. Front tire isn't bigger than rear.

Measurements to pay attention to:

1) stem length - not long enough = bad. Too long - you might need spacers made up to take up the gap.

2) Fork offset. Google it if not clear on it. It will change your effective rake and trail - key geometry items. Ideally it would be the same as original. Read up on how offset will change your rake/trail

3) fork travel - should be close to original.

Doing a front end swap, you will need to find the proper sized tapered roller bearings that will fit your steering head and stem dia's.

Honestly, this is a critical modification, but there is no clear 'do this... and it will work well' (unless someone else has done the exact mod - and you like the results). A lot of factors come into play which alter the geometry. You'll have to do a lot of searching (or requesting from others) for fork specific info. This will give you an idea on how a specific setup might act.

I've done such a mod, but don't know the end result as my bike doesn't run yet. I do know that I have increased the trail and the wheelbase - therefore I expect my bike to steer slower than before. I can move my forks up in the yokes to decrease my trail. A lot of testing will be needed this season.

Thanks for all the responses guys, Honestly I was only thinking of changing for aesthetics as I am not the biggest lover of how these forks look.

I knew it wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world to do, I am going to do some more digging and see if it is worth it which at the moment it is not high on priority because I want to get out on the bike over summer.

Shaun

Racetech do gold valve emulators for the FZ6R/XJ6 - people who fit these to yamaha damper rod forks rave about them as they turn the forks into something comparable to cartridge-forks. Best of all the forks will look bog-standard. Not sure if Racetech have a UK agent though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-Tech-Gold-Valve-Cartridge-Fork-Emulator-FEGV-S4101-77-2132-FEGV-S4101-/331122303994?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d186d63fa

FZ6R is the model - it's the american name for the XJ6.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online