RD80MX :) 5G0-00229, anyone recognise it?

wild foamy
This post is 3701 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well peeps, i picked up what i thought was a Mk1 RD50MX only to find that its an RD80MX!

_12_zpse0f4c924.jpg

In need of lots of TLC and missing some vital parts, but no doubt there are precious few of these in existance now.

one of the biggest problems im finding is the engine, 80 units are hard to come by and although the DT50 shared engines with the RD50, GT50 and TY50 bikes im wanting to find out if the crankcases, the primary gear ratios are the same for all models of DT50 and DT80 so hopefully i can use the same gearbox.

does anyone have access to a microfiche or parts catalogue and could shed some light on this?

the shopping list is growing, but wont be doing anything until i can shift grouchs XT...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 weeks later...

Now have indicator lenses, flasher relay, a TY engine block (missing barrel and intake manifold), carb.

gonna get everything pieced back together and get it stripped/painted over a weekend at some point.

As I remember it foams the RD80 was a water pumper. Lil baby lc unit designed for the 80 and only the 80...... May use the 50 gearbox with diff outer cases but be easier to find Graeme Norton a girl friend.

May be wrong though. I am well into my 5aday on the apple juice, hic

Ahhh crap, see 5 a day is bad for your judgement...

it looks alot like a old 77 /80 yz motorcross motor to me. Try cross referencing the crank/ trany parts.

the DT50, RD50, and TY50 share the same engine cases, the clutch and stator covers are a different style on the TY but are interchangeable between all, im not 100% sure about the YZ but visually they look the same and getting them shipped over from the states is fookin expensive.

according to haynes, the DT/RD50 and DT/RD80 primary transmissions are the same ratio, it is only the front and rear sprocket ratios that differ.

TBH, aslong as it fits in there and it runs im not that fussed.

Nah its an LC, mine is definately an air cooled model :(

Ah, ok then. I thought it looked like its big cousins and was an wee elsie