Helmet repaint....advice?

fawzi963
This post is 3869 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys, recently a friend gifted me a helmet that he used to ride a few years ago, other than the fact that I don't how good the brand is (JHL) and some dirt inside, it's fairly fine.

But I was thinking about repainting it the same colour it already is.

Is it possible with just some sand paper and a can of primer and spray paint? Or is it not as simple?

y6yryzu2.jpg

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never buy or use a second hand helmet.

Never paint a helmet (although some can be painted).

Change your helmet every few years.

when i was learning to ride my instructor told me that they should be changed every two years, or as soon as it is dropped.

It's is highly advised that you get a new one.

But of course it is totally up to you.

The shelf life is around 5 years. Call it 4 to be safe.

If you use a second hand helmet you're risking your head. You don't know how the previous owner (mis)used it.

As for repainting, absolutely not.

Plastic degrades over time - several aspects. Sunlight, rain, heat, cold. Acrylic has 'memory' which means every time it flexes it tries to return to its original shape. Just look at an old bath panel or washing machine and you will probably see hairline cracks at the corners. If it has been dropped, the polystyrene could easily have been compressed already and offer no protection for your skull. In short don't use it for anything more than fancy dress!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online