Exhaust Poll - and legality...

Matthew Duncan
This post is 3864 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What kinda exhaust do you have?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What kinda exhaust are you running on your bike?

• Stock with baffles
    • Stock Without Baffles
    • Aftermarket with baffles
    • Aftermarket without baffles?

Was giving my bike a good clean yesterday and took the baffles out the exhaust to polish the tip...

its my FZ6, and it has LeoVince Evo II Slip-ons on sound reallly nice without the baffles, not quite as loud as my SV at low revs but screams when neering the redline.

Whats the legality of this? tempted to leave them out...

Cheers

Matt

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Legal providing it is a road can and not marked differently, isn't too loud and the insurance company knows. It may fail an MOT due to excessive noise.

been pulled before on my sv, the SV has a IXIL race can on it, straight through with "not for road use" on it - the bobby just looked at it and laughed. its the same one i had on for my MOT

You asked for legallity, not if you might get away with it. Another day might have got you a fine, points and another trip to the MOT station.

The MOT says it mustn't be too loud. All in the ears of the inspector.

If it says "not for road use" on the can, then its illegal.

I have a cut down Yoshi on my xs400 and there's no baffles in there.

I Just keep the revs down near Police!

You have to be careful taking the baffles out Matthew cos they actually do a job in there, you will loose back pressure so you need to re time the engine and check your jet sizes and adjust the fuel flow, not as easy as you think just taking the baffles out cos it will eat your pistons if you don't watch out. Had a Honda many years ago and it ate the valves and the pistons after about 150 miles sounded good tho still it fell apart.

The ears of the inspector are fine for old timers like ours andy. Even as new we could make a good noise. The latest stuff is like 84db or something like.

More important, if plod catches you without baffles then you get in to due dilligance crap, as you driving an unfit vehicle intentionally.

Depends how lucky you feel and how fresh out of school the pleb, er plod is.

The ears of the inspector are fine for old timers like ours andy. Even as new we could make a good noise. The latest stuff is like 84db or something like.

More important, if plod catches you without baffles then you get in to due dilligance crap, as you driving an unfit vehicle intentionally.

Depends how lucky you feel and how fresh out of school the pleb, er plod is.

true, mines an old bike so plod may/have to give some latitude in exhaust noise levels.

Only reason i have left them out was cos it sounded less raspy, as for the engine damamge - it has a power commander 3, if i was going to keep them out i would get it re mapped.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online