YBR 125 strange noise on open throttle

JohnnyBoy83
This post is 3726 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all. I'm a bit of a biking newbie (read: total newbie) so not even sure if this is anything to worry about...

I've noticed a strange noise when I open up my throttle. It's starts off fairly quiet, and gets louder as the bike warms up. It's hard to describe, but the best way I could manage is that it's a rhythmic ticking/clicking sound. It speeds up a bit as I open the throttle fully, and cuts off completely the second I let go.

I can't seem to replicate the noise when the bike is standing, but when I'm moving it's that loud I can hear it with my visor closed & in traffic.

Bike seems to pull just fine, no issues with performance at all, just this bloody noise!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might have over-tightened your chain? I did that once by accident on my YBR and the result was a ticking noise when moving.

Just to clarify.

You dont get the noise when stationary with the engine running and rev'ing.

You dont get the noise when moving and decelerating.

You get the noise when the bike engine is under load.

Does the noise go when you accelerate and then pull in the clutch? (So you are still gaining speed)

Does the noise match the engine revs or the speed? (If you travel at 30 mph in 3rd and then keep the speed at 30 but change into 4th, does the sound slow)

I wouldn't dismiss the chain just yet.

That sounds like a stiff link on the chain to me.

You may find a pair of links which are rusted together, coasting (I assume you mean clutch in) disengages the chain.

As the two chain links are seized they don't sit inside the teeth of the sprocket and 'ride' higher and clunk as they come off the sprocket. The faster you go the clicking gets more rapid.

The same thing happens on a bicycle chain.

My moneys on the chain, needs maintenance or replacement...

Did you check to see if the chain was too tight? Like I said, that was the cause on my YBR - brand new biker, getting a little too enthusiastic about chain maintenance!

My symptoms were exactly as you describe it, but soon realised where I went wrong once I'd taken another look at the chain.

• Like 1

Bippo's right , however, looking the chain over and oiling it is no substitute for removal of the chain and inspection.

A stiff link is just that and cannot be assessed by a good look over with the chain in situ, you need to take it off. You won't be able to tell with the chain on.

Plus with the chain off you can run the motor and the bike won't go anywhere!! however, if its clicking away then the fault lies in the motor side, if all is ok then its the chain or rear wheel. A process of elimination.

I had this very similar problem on a chain years ago , clicking on acceleration, it was a stiff link which with the chain off, holding the chain up on each link I discovered the two solid links which were the ones which didn't move.

• Like 2

I had a biker friend of mine look over it in the carpark at work, and if anything he said the chain was a bit too slack, lol :eusa_doh:

I'll have to bite the bullet and have a crack at taking the chain off on Saturday, give it a good once over. Thanks for the advice guys (and girl!).

Problem solved!

A very small corner of the plastic chain guard was bent in slightly, and was catching on the drive chain.

How random! But sorted now, and my YBR is running (and sounding) perfect. Just goes to show you the smallest things can make all the difference.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online