YBR Battery Issue

Doomsnite
This post is 3901 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So Ive been having some battery problems. Bike wont start on start button, only kick and I now the the 46 error code which means battery problem. Voltage is low on the batt so ordered a charger so I can do some testing on that.

NOW, i realise the battery is incorrect. Yamaha parts list starts to use a YTX7L-BS Yuasa battery which is 6amps but the one i have is a Leoch LB5LB which is 5amps. Could this be the source of all problems and a battery swap will sort it out?

Further to that, if i need a battery, will only the Yuasa work or can I use any battery of the same type (YTX7L-BS) I have seen Lextek on ebay which is a lot cheaper than the Yuasa - but do you get what you pay for and recommend any brands?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The higher the battery amp hours the more it will crank the engine. Any decent brand comparative battery will work.Yuasa are a good brand. There are lots of different types of battery, the normal one being lead acid. You can get fully sealed, gel, etc batteries too.

Things to be careful of:

Make sure the battery you buy is a direct comparison to the one you need - the position of the vent and even which side is + or - vary and so do battery sizes.

If you buy a AGM or sealed type, make sure that your battery charger will work with it. Some need optimiser type chargers only.

If you buy a lead acid make sure it comes with an acid pack,some don't.

The battery you have will crank the bike just fine. The difference between 5 and 6 amp means nothing but if it is Amps per hour (AH) it just means the 5AH will go flat quicker. It is the voltage that determines how fast it will crank the motor and the capacity determines for how long. From what I see the LB5LB is a standard wet cell where as the YTX7L-BS is a sealed AGM type. Both will work but the wet cell needs looking after, water level topping up from time to time and prone to leaking acid. Most bikes now use saeled batteries for safety and low maintenance. The LB5LB will probably die earlier as it's Cold cranking amps (CCA) will probably also be lower causing more deteriation each time you use it to start.

Well the Leoch has died it appears. Last volt reading 8.6 with ignition on, then 11.6 when engine running after kick start. Would charging the battery and checking discharge time/do another volt reading tell me anything different or should I just go for a replacement battery?

The fact the volts are higher when the engines running shows there's nothing wrong with the rest of the bike doesn't it? Just the batt?

Is Lextek a decent brand? How would I know a decent brand? I'm oblivious to batts.

If it was me I'd just get a new battery. It sounds like it has had it. Doing a capacity check properly is a lot of mucking around and takes time. If it is 8.6 volts with ignition on then it is flat and not capable of turning the motor over enough and the voltage would be much lower whilst the starter is activated. Not enough power left for the ignition to spark sufficiently. 11.6 volts when the motor is running is also a bit low but a dead battery can also cause that also the alternator will not put out a lot of power at idle so voltage will be down then also. It should be more like 13.5 volts with a good battery and a few revs. It should stay fairly constant above idle. If you charge that battery then test its voltage you may see it up around 13 volts with no load for a short time after but if it is dead it will not hold it and will drop with a load such as the ignition.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online