Difference between DT175MX & DT175F? Both same year model '79/'80

fawzi963
This post is 3898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks to this forum and its members, I recently got to know that my '79/'80 DT175 was a DT175F and not a DT175MX since the frame and engine didn't not carry the 2A7-XXXXXX code. And btw mine has got a monoshock rear suspension. I would like to know the difference between the MX & the F, and how can I tell if mine has got CDI or magneto suspension?

Wasn't sure if I should post this topic here, workshop or classics section, so barely with me until I get used to feeling like home :icon_wink:

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your bike has got magneto / cdi ignition fella, I sent you a PM of a parts list for this bike. Really there isnt any difference between yours and mine, as I know of.

Thank you for the PM, much appreciated!

Not sure If I understand correctly about the CDI/Magneto. But is the ignition made up of CDI & Magneto, or is one of either? Just want this point explained please.

Thank you for the PM, much appreciated!

Not sure If I understand correctly about the CDI/Magneto. But is the ignition made up of CDI & Magneto, or is one of either? Just want this point explained please.

On the left side of the engine there is a rotor with strong magnets attached. Behind this there is a base plate with source coils and pulse coils attached, as the magnets pass the coils...voltages are induced and these voltages go to charge up the capacitor in the cdi and also to trigger the cdi to discharge its capacitor (cdi = capacitor discharge ignition) to the ignition coil under the fuel tank.

This system does not require any battery power at all, it will run without the battery but I'm not suggesting you do that because the battery is needed for many other things

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online