Fork Protectors

Grouch
This post is 3909 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys hope you all had a good Xmas and have a prosperous new year

I have bought some fork protesters for my WR. I was going to let the garage fit them when they service her but I might as well do them myself. I have looked on YouTube at tutorials so I know what I'm doing the only problem is I need to get a torque wrench. I tried using a standard ratchet but the bolt was too tight. I'm just wary about using a torque wrench as I've no experience with one. I don't want to over tighten the bolt or damage it some other way.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easy to use. They come in different ranges and fitting sizes so make sure you get one that is within the range you need and has a fitting that will fit on any existing sockets. Normally dialed in at the bottom, they click when the correct torque is set and "break" if you try and over tighten. Remember to wind out the wrench after use to maintain it's accuracy (loosen the adjuster at the bottom). Normally come with a guide to convert different measurements so between pound feet, newton metres etc.

Normally 3/8 or 1/2 inch drives and look at the torque range, it is very important as; too low and you wont get it tight enough; too high and you will strip thread.

Oh dear here we go again !!!

if you can't loosen it with your socket set, a torque wrench won't help If I were you I'd get the shop to fit em,

think maybe you should keep the xt to practice on!! is it a 1/2 inch drive socket set you have ?

Cheers Tommy, don't know why but I thought it would. Well I'm not going to start messing with it. I'll just get the garage to put them on when it goes for its service in another 140 miles. They won't charge either as it will take them 2 minutes literally.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online