Rusty bolts, swing arm and foot pegs

Doomsnite
This post is 3908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Is there a successful, recommended way to remove this? Just picked up my new ybr and think it needs treating before i give it a once over with acf50. Would rather not take bits off as its all new to me. Sorry if this is asked loads.

Im resigned to the fact that the swing arm will need painting too but can that be done while its on the bike and with a brush so not to get overspray? Also what paint and primer is recommended? Swing arm is black which is straightforward enough but what able the panel in front of it that holds the foot pegs? I can upload photos tomorrow if necessary. All chrome work is fine as it goes but bike side of exhaust has a bit creeping. Going to try the coke/ton foil gag on that

Last question... Is acf50 enough plus regular rinse down or is it good to spray wd50 on bolts after riding too? This is something my father in law mentioned.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi dooms" lift bike onto a stand [ or milkcrate] - To Remove the chain , [slacken the rear spindle ] and screw the tensioners back . push wheel forward ,chain should droop. then remove back wheel. [ brake rod etc.] then rear shocks,

At this time check swing arm bushes ,lateral movement etc, it should be smooth in up & down action too,

then pivot nut off, tap out pivot bolt, catch dust cap washers,, :yeah:

mechanical removal, ie wire brush, then chemical.

you really need to remove the items off the bike as you run the risk of scuffing the surrounds

Most bolts can be replaced with stainless ones - be careful if any are high tensile. I would remove the swingarm and do it properly. Failing that, rub down, coat with something like Jenolite or Furtan (look on fleabay). paint with a brush version of Hammerite direct to rust smooth.

They are marked with large letters, numbers or symbols. Common ones are; TS, 10 and a logo (Suzuki use a large S). From the swingarm bolt back they will probably just be used for disk brake and caliper mountings.

Personaly i would take the swing arm out and strip and paint it as then you know every bit of dirt and rust is off and is painted nicely. Nothing worse thannot being able to reach one bit and you stand back to look at your work to see a nice shiney black swing arm with a blob of rust and dirt in the spot you missed.

Its not that hard to do and can be done in the space of the wife making you two cups of tea. (rememebr the first cup is to make sure she can make one and the second one is the one you drink ;) ) Hammerite direct to rust is very good paint and if you really want to go over kill prime it with some Red oxide and rub down with 400 - 800 grit wet and dry between each coat, (4 coats will do the trick)

I'd love to do it and someday I will but this is my first experience with a bike - only got it on Saturday. Part of me wants to leave it for the time being and just get out and ride as any painting, etc (especially taking the swingarm off) would leave it out of action for a while. I want to get learning.

Do you think just covering it with ACF50 for the time being and getting out and riding it would be alright and then look to sort it out in the summer. Here's how it is at the moment and you can see the general rusty bolts and stuff

IMG_2189.jpg

A bit of surface rust. I would leave it for now.

Get some Plusgas and spray the rusty bolts with it on a regular basis keeping it away from tyres and brakes.

When you are ready see if anyone is prepared to help - search the forum as there is a thread about that kind of help - it also is a good idea to fill in your profile, you may live near someone who is prepared to pop around and help out.

Check over the bike and create a wish list. For example if the swingarm is coming off you may want to do the following while you are at it:

Swingarm off and painted

Swingarm bearings replaced/checked and greased

Rear wheel bearings and seal replaced/checked and re-greased

Rear brakes checked

Chain and sprockets replaced.

Cush rubbers checked

Apart from waiting for the paint to dry, providing you have the parts ready to go, the rest would take a couple of hours max. Then you know that the rear of the bike is sorted for a long time to come.

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it in the summer mate, too much riding your miss out on and is the best time to get the miles in. But if your within a 50mile radius of Yeovil i dont mind popping out on the bike (once finished) and giving you a hand. Pay me with tea and biscuits (ginger nuts will do fine)

• Like 1

I wouldn't do it in the summer mate, too much riding your miss out on and is the best time to get the miles in. But if your within a 50mile radius of Yeovil i dont mind popping out on the bike (once finished) and giving you a hand. Pay me with tea and biscuits (ginger nuts will do fine)

Thanks for the offer.. very generous. I'm over in Stevenage though unfortunatly. Think I might give it a month or so.. get some much needed miles under my belt now. Although the weather isnt helping! I did my CBT in the gales and rain over xmas, so if I can ride in that I can ride in anything!

............ginger nuts will do fine

There are probably a few ginger nuts on here already fella!!! :huh:

Thanks for that. I was planning to attack some of the bolts with WD40, is that as good as Plusgas? .....

No where near as good. WD40 Is a water dispersant, Plusgas is a penetrating fluid.

Thorough rinse all over with cold water

Use Muc Off or similar all ove rthe bike and wash the bike

Dry thoroughly

ACF50 sprayed/wiped all over APART FROM BRAKE DISCS/PADS SHOES ETC

Remember that a little goes a long way as it tends to creep

You can put it on your chain too

Should last for weeks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online