Binned it.

doodlefool
This post is 3812 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In terms of the bump start, I know I was moving, when it initially cut out I started it again and rode up to the lights, slowed down, and it went to green I continued to move off (I was in rider position when it happened so I know it wasn't from stationary), but everything is blurry, and I can't remember exactly what went down. I'm still not discounting my error, but I want to look into it just incase the bike had something to do with it to prevent it happening on my commute in heavy traffic.

It hasn't put me off, if anything I want to get back out there and iron out my skills and make sure that, if it was my fault, it never happens again. I'm just trying to piece it all together so I can make more sense of the situation.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Many Many years ago I was outside PRIDE & CLARKES in London watching an American guy who had just bought a new BSA gold star, his first ever bike, the salesman gave him the keys and just walked off, the guy then jumped on the bike and then used the kick start to get it going forgetting that it was in first gear, he must have had it in first gear at the time cos it took off like a scalded cat down the road with the poor sod hanging on like grim death. It was funny at the time and even now it brings a smile to my face but what you describe sounds just like that, if it will start in gear and you have a handful of throttle then there's your problem, it happens really quickly and you have no time to react as the wheels start turning and your off on a ride to the hospital.

That sounds like the cracker :( Although I had it running and the clutch pulled in. I just can't believe how I could have done that, but I did/something did. Even though I was riding well for an hour before in traffic, my clutch control had been really smooth till this point. It wasn't like I didn't know what I was doing.

But I guess at the end of the day it happened. It's over. I'm fine (the most important bit). Get someone to check out my bike incase. And be VERY WARY in future.

It's torturing me more today than yesterday, I just want my bike to be fixed so I can get back out there now.

I had something similar happen years ago when I went from a 250 to a XJ600, the first time out I pulled out of the drive at home and opened the throttle not knowing how much power there was compared to the 250, the acceleration pushed me back causing me to pull on the bars which cranked the throttle open more, managed to hang on to it, but it was a lesson learned and I adjusted the bars to suit after that.

Could have been a couple of things...

Either way, I reckon you were definitely in 1st gear, given the amount of torque that ripped through the bike.

If it is the bike cutting out, check all the basics, like your clutch adjustment. Then go back to the dealer with it and make use of that warranty. Some dealers are nice about these things, but they're still dealers and you're still a female, so don't take any of their shit.
If you need a decent independant mechanic, I'm sure we can find you a decent local-ish one.

Or it could have been your clutch control. Occasionally you'll find you let the clutch out a mite too early, the biek half-stalls, but then your throttle roll-on kicks in and it blazes away effectively being the same as dumping it with high revs.
I actually did something similar this very morning - Basically revved up, but not high enough (quite bike surrounded by loud vehicles at the lights and couldn't fully hear the engine) so when I let the clutch out it started to stall. I was quick enough and yanked the clutch in, so it didn't completely stall and as the revs rose, I was able to let it back out and get moving properly.
Just one of those things. You'll get used to finding the right revs and balancing it with the clutch just with more riding.
Incidentally, I'm on an unfamiliar hire bike ;)

But hey, you're unhurt and ready to jump back on, so this is a good sign!

• Like 1

Looks like someone else may have had a similar problem as me:

http://www.fixya.com/motorcycles/t12355585-yamaha_ybr_125_07_plate

You'll be driving along as normal then BAM it just cuts out on you ...... Then BAM it'll just pick up again like nothing's happened!......

I daren't ride the bike now thru fear of ... it cutting out when travelling [not that] fast and it throwing me off into on coming traffic.

Which is essentially what happened to me, but when it cut back in, I was already pulling the throttle to gain acceleration, so it shot me off into the middle of the road.

Same year (and colour, lol) and I think mine's fuel injected, I'll double check. I'm going to investigate and see if anything there is causing it?

Been searching, but not found any official recalls from Yamaha yet... could be worth dropping them a line?

Good call, I'll do that - worth checking. But like you say, I haven't found much online about this problem, so it isn't/can't be a fault with the model or I would have read more about it. I only found that thread when I searched "yamaha ybr getting thrown off".

Definitely give my bike a good looking over tonight, checking all the connectors, battery, spark plug etc, calling my dealer tomorrow. Now I'm actually hoping it was my fault... because then I can take action against it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online