EML lights up when accelerate

Jason Whufc
This post is 3666 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I dont really know a great deal about bikes as i have not been riding very long. I purchased my Ybr 125 a few months back and have loved every second of riding her!

A couple of days ago when on my way to work i was accelerating and just reached 50ish mph and the nike just sort of bogged down and the engine management light flashed a few times, so i immediately pulled over and waiting a couple of minutes and everything seemed ok so i continued on my journey but it occured a few more times!!

I finished work that night and took her for a half hour or so ride and evrtyhing seemed fine as it did not happen again, which i was chuffed about, so i put it down to changing the oil the day before maybe!!?? i dont know if that does effect it?

But then when i left for work last night it happened again! i really do not know why, has anyone else has this problem? Or any ideas as to what could be up with her?!

Its a 2007 ybr 125 only covered 5000 miles!

Any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the owners manual to see what the engine management light refers too? Have you checked the oil level since you changed it? Maybe the light refers to low oil level and the engine is seizing due to lack of oil if the problem has only just started since you changed the oil.

Tony

Seems that Tony might be on to something, if the light did not come on before and then you changed the oil and it now comes on then it leads you to suspect that either you over filled it or did not put enough in !!!, If you have a sight glass on the side of the engine that tells you how much oil you have in it then stand it up straight and check the level. Usually the simple things that screw you over.

PS an INTRO in the new members section is a good thing to do as it lets folks know your serious about your bike and NOT a "ONE HIT WONDER".

Hey guys thanks for feedback, I checked oil and it was fine then came up with idea to check the spark plug and as it turns out it has a intermittent problem with the spark, it cuts out every now and then! Will post updates as and when to help others also!

Hi Jason, being a grumpy old git, I'm not sure what EML stands for? You mention it in your heading but not in your post.

By the way, how's big Sam doing?

Although I'm from the West Country when I come to the smoke once a year I tend to support a west London club. but unfortunately not yours, any guesses?

Hi Jason, being a grumpy old git, I'm not sure what EML stands for? You mention it in your heading but not in your post.

By the way, how's big Sam doing?

Although I'm from the West Country when I come to the smoke once a year I tend to support a west London club. but unfortunately not yours, any guesses?

EML:

Engine Malfuntion Light

aka

Check Engine Light, Emissions Control Malfunction, MIL, Idiot Light.

..........PS an INTRO in the new members section is a good thing to do as it lets folks know your serious about your bike and NOT a "ONE HIT WONDER".

That didn't work :icon_biggrin:

..........how's big Sam doing?....

Sam is doing OK, it's those nancy boys on the pitch that are not doing so good.

Come on you Irons!!

Sam is doing OK, it's those nancy boys on the pitch that are not doing so good.

Come on you Irons!!

He's done ok against my adopted club today

• 6 months later...

Hi, I've been having a similar issue on my 2010 ybr125. took it to two different dealers who plugged into their all-singing all-dancing computer which on both occasions reported no fault but left me with bills of £40 and £50 respectively. What a scam!

So here I am, £90 worse off and a problem that keeps re-appearing. both dealers have told me that the fault has got to show up during their plug-ins. In other words it could take another year or three for us to coincide! As I say, what a scam.....

Took it to a very (main) dealer and asked them to let me have a cost-to-change for a new ybr. told them about the issues I am having and they have refused to finalise costings until they know for sure what is causing the yellow light to show. (The bike runs beautifully, even with the light on so I suspect some sensor issue rather than deep problems.) so here I am, with a (very) main delaer who cannot tell me what is wrong and therefore cannot fix it and who is also refusing to allow me to part-ex the bike. he also suspects that the problem will be of a sensor type rather than a real issue. So why not risk-assess and give me a goddam cost-to-change?

It has left me in no-man's land and am thinking to escalating it somewhere.... but where?

Basically Yamaha have installed a sensor that is not mature enough to keep me on the road.

Any guidance please?

Thanks