mixture screw jamned and rounded off

madrevs
This post is 3773 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Picked up my new mixture screw for the dtr today as the old one had broken off at the end which sits inside carb and they decided to crqmn it in went ro remove it tonight and cant getvit to budge and its starting to round off.is there anyway off getting to it from insidw the carb.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

After 2 hours of trying to remove it have taken carb off and am going to try drilling it tomorrow and tapping in a allen key socket hopefully it will come out or new carb.really does annoy me why people are so tight all they had to do was pay 13 quid for new mixture and it would of saved all this work instead of forcing it all the way in anyways does anyone know how to get air box off cos it will make putting carb back on alot easier undone the one bolt on bottom of frame but cant find anymore and it will only move a few mm

Thanks

time for a new carb tried for ages trying to drill it tried using easy out tried using extractor and tried knocking allen key in screw is now well and truly mullered or whats left of it also managed to break the alloy recess it sits in quite far down past the o ring.wheres the cheapest place to get another carb from.thanks

had idea if i was to empty the 2 stroke oil bottle and premix it in the tank.surely then the mixture screw would be made redundant and the bike would idle properly.do u think this would work.how much 2 stroke to petrol would i need to put in

Don"t confuse mixture screw with oil mixture, :eusa_snooty: The mixture screw [ air screw ,] regulates AIR- FUEL mixture, this is on the pilot system, vital for idle & first 1/2 of throttle operation,, What type of carb is on it,?

Just cos you write small don't think we will not know you buggered it !!!!! :crylaugh:

Hahaha slice I did well and truly muller it but the odd thing is there was still a stub of a screw in the bottom so have filled it with sealant gave jets a clean too bolted it all back together and it now runs sweet tick over spot on revs freely nice puffs of smoke so dont no what happened there have managed to buy another front section of a carb off ebay with a rounded off screw so am going to attempt it again when it arrives.also why does the carb have so many breathers and overflows.now onto next problem but will start a new thread.

Glad you got a sense of humour about it !! Hope it all turns out ok, it does make you wonder sometimes why it has to be so complicated, holes - jets - breathers and God knows what else all jammed into a space hardly big enough for it all to fit in and we all have hands the size of gorillas so there is usually no way you can get at anything.

Think about the float chamber, if it had no breather , fuel drops in [ float valve] then venturi suck it up jets,, a vacume would create . :icon_idea:

Me and fiddly tasks dont go together so knew I would mess the carb before I started.dont realky know how a carb works blackhat

They work by gravity,,,,,,, if you took your bike into space there would be no gravity to feed your carb with fuel and air

Oh right more the jets I dont understand and what ones what when I cleaned them there was a small one and in the middle was a larger one with a washer under it that unscrewed out of a larger jet that looked fixed.

Removed plug tonight after a 15 mile ride and the tip of the plug was tan but the rest was a sooty black colour so its running a bit richwill have to replace mixture screw sooner rather than later but I was only poodling it on way home cos of bad weather top gear and low revs might of caused it

Managed to get another front section of carb with same fault and got this one out.but the new screw from tinklers will only turn in 3 full turns tried cleaning thread with a 5 mm tap and will still only go in 3 turns is this normal as old one sat alot further in

Perhaps that's why it was rounded off cos some gorilla thought it should go in further !!!!!!!