XT250 Steering bearings

mcferreira100
This post is 3932 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The front wheel and forks are off..triple trees still on. Thought I would check them and notice there is a sort of click into forward, left and right positions. Is this normal?..would think things should be smooth throughout the turning radius. Are the bearings shot?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Found the problem..one ball bearing missing off the top end. Manual indicates 22 but i count 21. Question is..how did it escape?

vxu2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

After 30 years isn`t this what you would expect to see?

I`ll clean it up, replace the missing bearing and repack it.

They look knackered to me , and over time you will find the balls will have flat spots and the chrome de-laminates on the races.

Why not get a nice new tapered bearing kit?

After a cleanup they look pretty ok to me. Can get the missing ball from the dealership.

Actually unemployed and having to stick to a tight budget.

Not to worry..actually had enough of the rat race..just want to restore these old bikes now...but have to watch the moolah with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I`m confused..the manual indicates 22 balls on the top yoke but with 22 in it looks like one still missing. I`m sure it needs another one..can it be an error in the manual?

kvr1.jpg

Hello..anybody reading this?. This is holding me up. Getting no replies so going to stick another bearing in there and see how it is.

I think that might be normal... so they can roll freely. ??

doesnt make sense..the bottom ball bearings pack nice and tight together..why would the top have a gap?

I've read that because the loose balls don't have a cage to keep them separated there's a little bit of a gap. Some gaps are big enough for one ball and others about half that size. As long as you have the correct number of balls I think you should be okay. ??

• Like 1

I`ve ordered another ball (they`re only ZAR2,00) and if it goes in nicely I`ll leave it there. The action when turning is not smooth so will check it with 23 balls in.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online