XT250 Restore

mcferreira100
This post is 3572 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What she looked like when I got it.

ya79.png

Started stripping today..seat tank exhaust..carb.

630q.jpg
Air filter not in very good shape.
v83x.jpg
Carb..bike idles but missing badly at mid throttle. Previous guy had the carb overhauled by a neandarthal who stuck a nasty piece of wire to accelerator pump which I`m sure must be causing problems.
4ytc.jpg
Tail light bracket has an ugly repair job on it. Thinking should maybe make a new one from steel.
7ci4.jpg
Monoshock full of oil.
y8aj.jpg
Can`t see it so good in the pic but all around the exhaust port its full of carbon soot. Suppose gasket a bit suspect. But could it also be she`s be running rich or could there be a valve problem?
8xga.jpg
Exhaust has lousy repair job on it..I can get that looking better.
9ea5.jpg
Nasty ding in the bend by the cylinder. Could this cause any performance problems?
q7e2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Where I am now with stripping..swingarm and engine out.

n32t.jpg

After some jetwashing

2r51.jpg

Before and after pic

rwuq.jpg

wxz9.jpg

Chain tensioner was a big pile of grease..looking good now

w1mf.jpg

Some primer..have a nice finishing black for the frame and swingarm

06pp.jpg

t8r7.jpg

Been there done that, that looks really nice, it's surprising what some soap and a jet washer can do plus a LOT of elbow grease, should be lovely when it's finished, it's all about the preparation as I'm sure you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some painting today. Looking forward to getting it back together again.

1dsf.jpg

fb6j.jpg

3yvi.jpg

oqe4.jpg

v2fg.jpg

• Like 1

Thats looking really smart mate. did you bead blast the frame or just spray over the old paint??

Nothing fancy, just applied lotta elbow grease with sandpaper (my right arm is now twice as big as my left), then 2 coats primer and again light sanding before topcoat.

• 4 months later...

Update on progress

Huge dent in tank filled

2014-03-25122604_zps2795f8c6.jpg

removing paint

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mcferreira100/media/2014-04-09172751_zps893ebd71.jpg.html

Yamaha supplied wrong gasket on flywheel side..got that sorted

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mcferreira100/media/2014-04-05104929_zps7b69ab89.jpg.html

how its looking so far

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/mcferreira100/media/2014-04-09172829_zps3d1d53d9.jpg.html

forks also have new seals and oil

How was you swingarm bushes , on shock etc... > :rolleyes: They"re rare items to find,,

Pretty good..not much play on them..monoshock also still good.

That is going to be one pretty bike when you have it done, really impressed with your shiny engine. Well done mate. :jossun:

Let me get the right URL in.

2014-02-12143430_zps44dd8267.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Rear mudguard needing lot of fibreglass and bodyfilla to get it looking ok again. Had a big hole in it.

2014-04-25142546_zps4bea0f06.jpg

As well as the tail light bracket.

2014-04-25142611_zpsa3010255.jpg

Tank and sidecovers look nice. This is a base coat so still going over with clearcoat tomorrow. My first time so I`m little nervous now that the decals are on..don`t want to cock this up..thin coats at a time I think.

2014-04-26171921_zps2c161012.jpg

Not a nice day..got orange peel all over the tank with the clearcoat..will have to live with it for now.

Tank back on and went for a start with some quickstart. Starts ok..adjusted clutch cable ok..but throttle driving me nuts..revving high all the time. Been fiddling with adjustment but revs just staying high...even after loosening cables by the carb. Must be the cable as when I force throttle back the revs drop. Maybe its a cable routing issue. Maybe shud take cables completely off carb and see if its better.

Orange peel is easy to work with just add more coats so you have lots of clear to wet sand off without cutting into the decals then buff out the clear not the end of the world just more work to make it look great.

Can I add more coats even now that its dry?..would think 1200 grit wet should work.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online