Dt 125 bogs before revs

Mattblfc8
This post is 3827 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Was it running OK before?

Does it bog all the way through the rev range or just at part throttle?

When was the last time the jets were cleaned and the float reset?

When was the last time the air filter was changed or oiled?

When it revs does it idle high and slowly come down to idle and then cut out, unless you blip the throttle?

Check for an air leak from the airbox to the carb by spraying some WD40 around the airbox to carb joints.

Check the air filter.

Check the carb jets and float height.

Check for a crankcsae seal leaking.

Sounds like a crankcase seal.

I would clean the carb and check for air leaks first around where the carb and air filter join and the carb and head join. To do this, idle the bike and spray wd40 around all of the joins.

Also try a new spark plug.

And no the crank seal is not a easy job if you have never done 1,should be lots of info about doing it though been discused many time here.

Yh I've put a new spark plug in it could a dodgy battery cause some problems or not

I doubt it very much.

Ok mate thanks I'll try that later is a crankcase seal an easy job to do

It depends on your level of mechanical skills. It can be done in under and hour on some bikes for the left hand side - which is the one that tends to go more.

Always follow the main rule - When you have bike issues always look at the cheapest and easiest parts to replace first.

The seals that can cause this are the crank seals. Normally there is one on each side of the crank. The right hand seal is normally immersed/semi immersed in engine oil so tends to last longer. The left hand seal, when it fails, lets air into the combustion area making the bike run lean and increases the risk of a seizure. The seals harden over time and stop doing their job. Bad idling can be down to the left hand crank seal. The problem can be worse when the engine is warm.

The right hand seal change is normally only possible with an engine split. The seal would let in engine oil and this is burnt causing a more smoky 2 stroke and the bike will use more engine oil.

The left hand seal can normally be removed with the engine in the bike. This is normally done by removing the left hand crank case cover, Removal of the stator, which exposes the seal. The seal can be popped out and a new one put in.

A check for the left hand seal is to remove the left hand crank case, start the engine and to spray WD40 behind the stator plate. If this is leaking then the engine note changes. This sometimes doesn't work but often does.

This is a general guide and you would need to check you bikes set up before doing this.

In my TS250 thread - which is in the project section - shows me doing this to the TS. It is towards the end of that thread.

Other than 2t oil the bike shouldn`t use any oil if the gear box oil is disapearing then you`ve found your problem the right seal is gone.