94 YZF Gensis

MarktheMuffin
This post is 3979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been having a few probs with my YZF. My first thought was the head gasket so bought one but garage wanted to eliminate other thoughts first, ie, carbs, so had those cleaned by sonic vibration taken apart and so on, put back on bike all posible air leak areas checked, all went well, still back fired after, loudly, but bike seamed ok when pulling away then it started to play up again after a few days use. Now it is back to how it used to be before the carb cleaning.

Hard to start but when started there seams to be a dull clunk noise now like one of the pistons is being pulled through its cycle by the others also the smell of petrol/not firing on piston stroke feel to the bike, it pops at low revs/just above tick-over, like a back fire but not out of the exuast but seams to come from the front of the bike, ie a few strokes then pop, again a few strokes then pop, so on, between the pops still the sound of the piston going through the motion huge lack of power when trying to pull away, will only do it at high revs with the risk of wheel popping up at front. The lack of performance is very noticeable in all gears when moving.

I know that i have a corroded loom, (socket connections) due to living very near the sea, another loom in process but not yet finished, the popping above happens about a min after start-up, maybe less but is constant as above.

I still think that it could be the gasket as told to me by another biker, are we right?, could this be the prob?, I have the gasket but no garage to do the work in myself and I do not wish to pay the price i was quoted which was £150+labour.

Any advice will help on other things to look for, apart from whats known, unless you "deff" know its the head gasket. I really would love to just point at the place where the prob is and just fix it

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get the compression checked on all cylinders and look for a plug that looks "different" to the others. You need to narrow the problem before starting on the engine and it could be coil or plug related.

What Dirty said and check the temp of each exhaust pipe a cold pipe will get you going to the right cylinder,most likely it's not the head gasket,common symptoms of head gasket failure is over heating,coolant blowing out of overflow tank/motor. Spark plug washed clean.

Narrow down the possibilty's first.

Thanks guys, I will check these things out first. I have had heating problems with the bike since getting it a few years ago but it seams that it is a common fault with the bike due to the size of the Rad

Now all I have to do is find a lock-up to work on it :eusa_think:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online