Spark plug experiment.

blackhat250
This post is 3886 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I installed the temp [ plug] sensor on Ts250 today,,, Ran 15m;s outward & 15 back ,

First run with NGK B7ES [ standard for model] ,

Results,,,,, @ 50mph reading- 315 *f ,,, At 60 uphill, it maxed at 337*f.

2nd run- NGK B8ES reading- @ 50mph 280*f... @ 60Mph up hill = max- 308*f.

There was no difference in performance, only cooler , Gonna try jets next... Interesting stuff,

img023.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Interesting readings John. I was going to get one of these after I saw Pauls but didn't want to be the first to do it.

The real question is "Do I want to know"? Because if I don't know, I won't worry about it.

I wonder what an optimum temp is for a 2smoke?

Y think there all different, Pauls DT ran 230*f - with a max of 270*f , so you can imagine how i felt today when 300 was surpassed. :eusa_doh: But shes been good all 2000 + mils this year... was surprized at B8es figures , :eusa_shifty: .

I did notice when at traffic lights or junctions , the temp rapidly fell.. i thot it would heat at lights, [ aircooled mind]

It give you more confidence , on a long hill climb Newman,,, watching , and knowing the limits, :yeah:

..................and knowing the limits, :yeah:

That has always been my downfall mate, often the limit is behind me and I know I am in trouble :unsure:

Phew, thats hot,, mines is deffo Farenheit , as its at 49 degree in shed at the moment.. Aluminium melts at 650* F,,, :eusa_doh:

it might be slightly higher as alloys are developed over time especially with silicone content and forging processes.

Also alu has strange properties where its the oxide layer that's present and this forms a barrier which extends its heat range

Aluminium melts at 660C John

thats 1200f

That guy Fahrenheit and plonker Celsius [ was he a greek god or summat] should have had their heads knocked together,

Confusing us mere mortals,,, :eusa_doh: Mines is deffo in *f paul , as it says so on screen,,, bye the way ,out today it ran a steady 308

into the wind [ B8es] . it really drops temp quick when throttle is rolled off ,,am amazed,,

Suppose its no real surprise that the temp drops fairly quickly once the throttle is rolled off, no big fiery bangs happening in the combustion chamber so less heat generated, also proves the cooling fins are doing their job.

Suppose its no real surprise that the temp drops fairly quickly once the throttle is rolled off, no big fiery bangs happening in the combustion chamber so less heat generated, also proves the cooling fins are doing their job.

Do you notice on liquid cooled 4 strokes , when in town [ at lights] the fans are always running. they get hot when at a standstill,,